Author Topic: Pricing for bumper rechroming?  (Read 11223 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Pricing for bumper rechroming?
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
Anyone had any bumpers rechromed lately?  I have removed my rear bumper from my 54 Kaiser to have it replated and got "sticker shock" on my first call today.  Tri City Plating in Elizabethton, TN.  Certainly not the most expensive around but they've been in business for 41 years and gave me prices over the phone without even seeing the bumper.  Apparently he had a book and knew each piece very quickly.  Said the prices included whatever repair, straightening, etc., was needed.

Bottom line, $1390.  Broken down, Center $305, bumper ends, $290 each, bridge $255, bullets, $125 each.

Anyone used this shop or had one done lately?  I know its a big bumper, but OUCH!  Suggestions?
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pricing for bumper rechroming?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
Mike,

Did you check with Larry Barker? I know he has bumpers redone here in Phoenix. He may have better pricing for you.

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »
"Secrete Societies" know where to go!!!!

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
My age is showing when I note the price of a bumper rechrome would buy 5 running Kaisers just a "few" years ago!
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »
Royal Plating in Tucson, AZ did the re-chroming on ALL the front and rear chrome for my '51 Frazer Vagabond.  This included fog lights and hood ornament, rear bumper complete, all front chrome and a couple of other incidental pieces.  The total was around 1700.00

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
I've been using Paul's Chrome Plating in Evans City, PA (1 800 245 8679) for all of my plating. I don't like to send parts all over for repair/service, but Paul's has treated me (and my parts) well. They did the plating for my Darrin and it is beautiful!! (the chrome and the Darrin!). The secret's out! They'll also be doing my 57 T-Bird before spring. I would suggest calling a bunch of platers and ask a lot of questions. Go with the one you are most comfortable with.

Gary, in snow covered Syracuse, NY,  YUK !!

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »
Chrome platers are famous for leaving the copper plate out as it is expensive and you will not know the difference for a couple of years when the chrome starts to fade.  Know your plater!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

hollenway

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
I've had a lot of work done by a lot of different shops.  Gordie is right about quality.  Lower prices usually indicate a shortcut somewhere.   Tri-City in Tenn. is an excellent outfit.  They do great
work and their turnaround is pretty darn good for the chroming business.  Usually around 4-6 weeks.   Over the years I've had shops lose parts, send back items with grinder marks and
pits and many other flaws.  And none of them ever offered to redo the job on warranty.  It
definitely pays to know who you are dealing with.   For pot metal, Graves Plating in the
Philadelphia area are good and I've also had good luck with Nu-Chrome in Mass. 

lessthan8

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »

Try Bubba Moon @ Crome Wizard, ph# 615-383-0990, email: chromewizard@aol.com. He has recromed my front and rear bumpers and other parts (he is located just out of Nashville, Tn)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
Having been in the commercial chrome (things like turn signal housings for current production Harley-Davidson motorcycles) between 2000 and 2006 as a quality manager, the comment about the copper layer is most interesting.  Not only does the copper give a better base for the application of the nickel and hexavalent chrome layers, a good shop will copper plate than re-buff the surface, using the friction heat to warm up the copper and "move it around" to fill tiny holes that have opened up in the base material.  The result is not only a better chrome finish, but one with no pock marks (pitting) or outgassing, where gasses trapped below the surface (just like in die casting) work their way up over time as temperatures warm and cool the part itself.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »
I re-plated a 1949 Kaisereverything except stainless trim and door handles for 3K at Southern Bumper in Atlanta GA. The next shock you are going to get is how long it takes. It's not quick or cheap. I've used these folks on a Ford I own and it has held up 10 years.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
$1390 is certainly not unreasonable for a well-done job.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Resurrecting an old thread but a relevant topic.  I just have to say that I can't help but notice that ben-tex had posted on this thread. Ben left us in 2012 and is missed.  RIP ben-tex, you were one of a kind.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
I may have been unaware of that.  I do know I communicated with him several years ago about purchasing a '51 Frazer Vagabond, which never came to pass, if I am thinking of the same person.  Sorry to hear that he is not with us anymore.

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
That seems pretty high better look around , i thought you sold your 54 ?