Author Topic: Continental engine spark plugs  (Read 1535 times)

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
Continental engine spark plugs
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
Any techno-wizzes out there re: Continental engines,  working with an engine from (obviously not an automotive application) and find the threaded openings for the plugs are larger. Does anyone know what plugs should be used?? ::)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Continental engine spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »
Although not the original type they came with, I  always used AC-45 plugs in mine. Standard sized plug. They fit right in.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »
You might have one equipped with the larger 23mm plug opening. KF used a 14mm plug but some industrial engines had larger plugs. A Champion W14 is the most commonly used 23mm plug.

If you have a plug removed from the engine, a picture would help confirm.

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
That may be it. I've got plugs from the old engine...14mm as you say. The 'new' engine came without plugs but little caps to seal the openings (when rebuilt by continental) the the openings are the larger size & obviously won't accomodate. I've had the fellow at NAPA trying to help but nada so far...hate to put the old head back on as the new one's already on with a sealed new gasket etc.  Any help for the actual plug with larger threads would be greatly appreciated!   Karl

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
A lot of the old Continental industrial  engines used big spark plugs. Champion  D21 or# 502 ,  D16  or #516 ,  UD16 or #555.  Be aware that some of the industrial engines won't bolt into a Kaiser due to differences to the snout and or rear flange of the crank shaft. Some have a different filler plate at the front so the car timing cover and oil pan won't fit.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
Also, there were different crankshafts for the Hydramatic equipped cars vs the standard tranny cars.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »
Continental industrial engines used a different camshaft than those in the automobile applications. Industrial engines have a different torque curve to allow either sustained high rpm use, such as in a generator or high torque under low rpms as in a forklift. I'm not sure I'd drop one into a Kaiser.

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:24:26 AM »
now, I learn this...the nicest Kaiser in left may still end up a flower planter :-[ :-[ :-[

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »
Actually, things have moved along pretty well...issues resolved along the way so far. The crank is different but a machine shop made a couple of pieces that solved the issue. The pan & oil pump differed so used the old ones. Fuel pump location an issue but had an electric pump anyway...vacume advance problem & timing worked out...seems to run ok.