Author Topic: Gas requirement  (Read 1051 times)

jim.williams1@verizon.net

• View Profile
    • Email
Gas requirement
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
OK, so here's how much of a newbie I am.  I have put gas in my '53 Dragon once.  I got high octane, leaded gas at $8.50 a gallon.  Question is can I use unleaded gas, and if so, what grade?  I am thinking high octane premium.  I am hoping to drive the car to the Mid-Atlantic Regional meeting next month and don't want to run out of gas en route :)  Thank you for your continuing Forum Support!

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas requirement
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »
Sure there will be various opinions on this controversial subject. I used a lead additive for years but based on all the literature and internet discussions I could find on the subject, it appeared to me this is not necessary, at least based on my driving scenario. I use 93 octane non-ethanol gas in my Kaisers and Frazers now. Until they started disappearing in this southeast area within the last couple of years, I used BP 93 octane for many years because it was believed that had no ethanol. I do not drive my cars long distances or pull trailers or go over 65 mph and travel just a few hundred miles a year. I have owned a Kaiser since 1994.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
Around many lakes a lot of people tow their boat to the water and gas up their boat on the way. It is a lot
cheaper that way. Since some marine motors motors require higher octane, certain stations sell ethanol free
premium gas for boaters and us old car guys get the benefit too. I used to pay $1.50 per gal less for premium on
land as opposed to a marina.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
Since the compression ratio of the 226 is very low premium is not needed. BUT, if you do use ethanol fuel, and your fuel pump still has the original diaphragm in it, it will start to dissolve as well as the old rubber hoses. If you rebuild the the fuel pump with an ethanol resistant diaphragm and replace the hoses also you will be ready for the open road.

jim.williams1@verizon.net

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »
Thank you three for your VERY helpful and insightful responses.  This forum is really a godsend to guys like me because you provide explanations along with your answers. Sometimes I feel like a dunce, sometimes I don't.  In any event, I want to be able to enjoy my Dragon throughout retirement and will be counting on you for support.  Thank again!  ;D