Author Topic: My data plate & Serial number plate  (Read 2587 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
My data plate & Serial number plate
« on: April 17, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
I present these for discussion/dissection.  There is nothing earth shattering about them.  I know my car was built in Long Beach, and It's black (well, "ONYX" in KF speak). I just thought they might be interesting or show something not presented before.

L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My data plate & Serial number plate
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
There are several interesting things about the plates besides showing the car as Long Beach assembled.

Paint number is a lacquer code, which it should be for either a Long Beach or a Portland (or for that matter, a Jackson MI) assembled car.  Bodies were shipped in "white" welded panels with doors and trunk attached, but not painted.  The assembly plants were not set up to do the high-temp Enamel of Willow Run.

The car also appears to be one of the original "sampler" cars...the first production cars going out to dealers and distributors.  AG4 was used on cars since the start of production (March 1950) until around June 15th 1950.  Cars with AG4 did not have electric clock or electric wipers.

The serial numbers (body and car) suggest that K-F assigned the numbers when the bodies were shipped out rather than on the line (in other words, the numbers ran sequentially for Michigan, Oregon and California built cars...the Prefix identified assembly point for warranty and other purposes). 

The latest information I have on Long Beach production shows that by 10/31/50, 1,104 Deluxe 4 doors were assembled out there.  The plant operated in spurts through March 1951 when the 5-year lease ran out and K-F vacated the facility so Douglas aircraft could expand military plane production. 

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
That is interesting and one more thing to look for in judging.  If these cars were originally painted with lacquer they should also have it now.  Enamel is easily recognized by the orange peal.  My 1951 Kaiser with the original paint is easily identified as enamel as the orange peal is on every panel.  This must be true on foreign assembled cars as they must have had lacquer too.  All of the judging sheets should have a section on data plates and the judges should check to see how the car was originally built before even starting to judge!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:19 PM »
It could have been dealer installed, but my car has the electric clock, and vacuum wipers.  There is a date on the trunk lid under the black paint. The date seems to be in yellow and it may have been painted over with the black of the car's color originally or later, and the date says 5-5-50.  It has the GE radio with the firewall cut out (which hinders engine removal a bit) and flat stainless steel around the door window frames.  Thanks for all the info!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988