Author Topic: Stalling on hills  (Read 3360 times)

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
Stalling on hills
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:40:11 AM »
My '54 Kaiser Special began stalling/hesitating going up long/steep hills about 50 miles ago. This began without any work on the engine for over 400 miles. Since then: replaced the fuel filter (old one was quite clean), replaced the electric fuel pump (old one maybe not consistently pumping), rebuilt the carburetor (float set too high, replaced a missing tiny spring), in-line fuel regulator eliminated, fuel line from pump to carburetor replaced/blown-out, linkage return spring replaced, with repeated road tests as each of these items were done. No change. Car will accelerate perfectly and run up to 60-65 mph with no problem, however, encounter a steep hill and the stall/hesitation begins. Next thing is to remove and inspect the interior of the gas tank. Any other thoughts, please.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Stalling on hills
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »
It sounds like the car is starving for fuel. A couple thoughts:
- Still a problem with the float. On an up hill climb the fuel level drops enough to starve the engine.
- An issue in the fuel tank with the pickup tube. Maybe a loose solder joint allowing air to be drawn in.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
Sounds like a vacuum leak. This is very noticeable when under load like hill climbing. Put a vacuum gauge at carb at check for leak. Check
carb base bolts for tightness. Do you smell gas when the car sits ? This would mean a full leak allowing air being sucked in while engine
is running causing a lean mixture as Joe suggested.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
The thing that comes to mind here is Vapor Lock. Indeed I experienced this on my '54 Manhattan in spite of a functioning electric fuel pump. The problem was the rubber fuel hose was routed much too close to the hot manifold. Your characteristics sound just like what happened on our 300 miles trip in hot August...car ran ok at about 50 mph, but go over that or any hill and it stumbled.
In addition, there is the possibility of a faulty coil. I had this happen on my Late Special as well as a Hudson.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

324darrin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
let me throw this experience in there just to add more confusion to the solution. Years ago, my 1967 Galaxie 500 was doing the same thing. After extensive investigation including removing the gas tank, it was discovered that there was a rubber section of fuel line connecting the fuel tank to the rigid fuel line. This rubber section had become compromised with age and had a crack in it allowing air to enter the system .This only happened going up a long gradual hill. Steve
Currently
1954 Darrin
1965 F250
1967 Galaxie 500 2dr HT
1949 EL Harley Davidson
Formerly
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Coupe
1947 Buick Super 4dr
1959 MGA
1961 Chevrolet Belair 2dr
1966 Ford Econoline
1967 Ford Econoline

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
Thanks for these suggestions and things to further review. Will report on the final outcome, and hopefully the cure.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:04:20 AM »
I think 324darrin may have pin pointed your problem. The flex line that connects the fuel pump to the steel line that goes to the gas tank may be almost swollen shut from the ethanol in the gas that we are buying today.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
A good way to test that would be to warm the engine up and on a level road floor it and see if it accelerates correctly. If it does then
it is not a fuel problem.

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »
Gas tank is to be inspected.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
Gas tank inspected at a specialty shop and found to have already been relined and not peeling, crumbling, etc. internally. Fuel gauge sending unit had a disconnected float. Float reattached and gas gauge now works (a bonus repair during this search). Fuel pickup tube also needed to be soldered at the tank. A test drive found improvement, but continued stumbling on a steep hill. Further carburetor adjustments, including a needle valve being replaced. Test driven again with the same result on the same steep hill. Note: The hill being used is steeper than any I've encountered outside of San Francisco. Electric pump and gas lines checked again and a plentiful flow of fuel noted. Final analysis is a recommended return to a mechanical fuel pump along with the electric fuel pump as the backup. The mechanic who did this work specializes in old cars and is also a good friend.
Where can I get a fuel pump with updates to handle the current alcohol laden gas?
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:30 AM »
Bob, can't help you on the actual fuel pump core. But Now & Then Automotive (http://www.then-now-auto.com/) has alcohol resistant fuel pump kits, and can also rebuild your pump for you. I have used many of their kits over the years on my Studebakers and highly recommend them.

Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
Thanks Paul. Hemmings has an ad for pump rebuilding. May try them.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Another thing to check would be inside the distributor. Check the wire from the coil to points for frayed insulation. If that wire grounds out when the vacuum advance pulls on the point mounting plate to advance the point opening, that would kill the engine, or possible cause the stumble stall. Full vacuum advance going uphill.  Pop the distributor cap off and see if the insulation is still intact.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
We had a hill staller ... compression 6 to 1 was 125, 125, 125, 120, 60, 40.
Cracked Valve top in cylinder one and blown head gasket between 1 and 2.
Ran great on the flat, idled smooth for ever... died when it even looked at a hill.
Check your compression.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
I think you may be chasing yourself in a circle. Again I say check with a vacuum gauge for a vacuum leak. The gauge should also show
leaky valves. If it does then check compression as pnw-oldmags suggested. If you floor it on level ground and it runs ok you do not
have a fuel problem.