Author Topic: Information needed - 1949 Kaiser Deluxe convertible  (Read 10357 times)

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
Information needed - 1949 Kaiser Deluxe convertible
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
I am a docent at LeMay - America's Car Museum in Spanaway, WA, and I have always been intrigued with the 1949 Kaiser Deluxe convertible we have.  the information I have available is that there were less than 50 of these cars made, and only in 1949 and 1950.  It is painted in Indian Ceramic, and I am told there were 37 different paint colors offered for these cars, along with over 60 interior options (color, fabric, cloth/leather, etc.).  I am looking for factual and interesting information on these cars to give to people who come for tours.  Might you have any suggestions on where I might start?  We do have a write-up on the car, but I was looking for some additional information.  Thank you, Tim

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Information needed - 1949 Kaiser Deluxe convertible
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »
If Jack does't post here, you can contact him at kaiserfrazerlibrary@yahoo.com   He is the club historian and can tell you all about that specific car and any common or obscure facts about 49s in general.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:17:09 PM by montefrazer »

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:21:38 PM »
Excellent information.  I will wait and see if he replies, but if not, I'll contact him and mention you suggested it.  I appreciate the help!  Tim

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:38:10 AM »
Here I am!

There were actually 42 1949-50 Kaiser Convertibles produced.  There were actually 37 different exterior paint colors for 1949 and 62 interior fabrics offered in 1949, which includes different colors of the same cloth, leather or vinyl material.  The number of cars built comes from the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation Operating Report dated 3/31/50 and a publication designed for sales people called FACTS, FACTS, FACTS.  The company had planned to offer a broader range of colors for cars, but sales were rather dismal and a lot of cuts in the offering list were made...some were noted in Ordering Information but never actually went on vehicles.

What I would suggest is that you post or email me the numbers off the door post serial number tag and the body tag found on the firewall of the engine compartment.  I can identify any factory installed equipment, original paint & upholstery, etc.

You may not be aware, but one of the convertibles built was exported to the then relatively new nation of Pakistian.  It, along with 2 Frazer Manhattan convertibles were used as official state vehicles for parades, VIP transport, etc.

The 1949-50 designation reflects the fact that any new, undriven, untitled cars in factory, distributor or dealer inventories on November 4, 1949 were re-tagged (DOOR POST) as 1950 model year products.  The "1950 model year" lasted until March 15, 1950, when the 1951 model year began.

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:38 AM »
Jack,

I sure appreciate this information!  It confirms some of what I knew, and adds some new information. This Sunday I will jot down the numbers from the door and engine compartment plates and post them or e-mail them to you.  I'd appreciate any information your records have about this specific car.  Thanks a lot, Tim

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:13:10 AM »
Tim,  I might suggest you capture the Body Plate and Serial Plate information on the Darrin, the 53 Dragon, and the Frazer Vagabond as well they are all great examples of K-F in your museum.  You might want to describe the LeMay Auto Collection for this group as many on this forum are probably unaware of it.  Jim  http://www.lemaymuseum.org/
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:19:13 AM »
Jim,

All excellent ideas for sure.  I have easy access to the Vagabond and the Dragon, and the Darrin is located at Mrs. LeMay's residence, but I expect I can make arrangements to visit the Darrin there to get the plate information.  I'll see what I can do for this, and take some photos of the various examples and post them if you think that would be of interest.  Tim

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
I am not sure whether I should describe the LeMay Museum within this post, or if there is somewhere else that would be preferred.  I am new to your forum and know that some forums have specific rules for what goes where.  So, if someone can steer me in the right direction, I'll be happy to describe it to you.  Tim

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »
I have the door plate numbers from the Darrin (161-001196) and the Kaiser Deluxe convertible (K492032553) which I got from someone in the know at the LeMay Museum, but we'll verify these.  He did not have the engine compartment numbers handy.  Also, I'll get the Vagabond and Dragon numbers as well when I verify the other two.  I'd be very interested in knowing more about any/all that you have detailed information on.  Tim

kndllmtt

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - kndllmtt
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
I don't know about anyone else, but I for one enjoy all these little tibits of historical trivia.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »
Please recheck the door post number and verify that the last two digits are 53...the club registry has the car with last 2 digits of serial number 33. 

Thanks

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:01:14 PM »
My next trip out to the Museum will be this Sunday the 2nd and I will be sure to recheck it then.

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »
My contact was able to verify the following for the 1949 Deluxe, the Vagabond, and part of the Darrin's numbers (which he'll check for me when he can):

"The 1949 Kaiser Deluxe Indian Ceramic has K492-032553 on its tag.  The 1951 Kaiser Vagabond's tag had been removed for some reason and had a Washington State replacement tag added in its place. However, I did find an old registration tag in the glove box and it had "F1006726" written on it - does that number make any sense?

As for the Darrin, the "196" portion of the VIN tells me, I think, that it was the 196th car made, which makes sense. The car was originally painted whatever they called their red, although it is now yellow."

I hope the above information makes sense and will provide some clues to the various cars that the Museum has.  Thank you, Tim

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »

The "F...." number is the engine number, and is totally worthless for gathering the information you asked about. 

The firewall body tags can be helpful as I have the full detail as to how many of what model was made in the 1949-50 model run so I can identify as being the 'xxxx out of YYYY produced", and other info on how the car left the factory.

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
I have some photos available to upload to this post, but the size had to be very reduced to keep within the size/number of uploads per post limitation.  Also, when I attempt to upload, I receive a dialog box telling me the "upload directory not found".  I am wondering if I am not authorized to upload, being a new member?  Tim,