Author Topic: Need help with 1949 Kaiser Traveler window rubber seals  (Read 1341 times)

Charley

• View Profile
    • Email
Need help with 1949 Kaiser Traveler window rubber seals
« on: January 02, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
I've got a 1949 Kaiser Traveler in some form of restoration.  I need to find front (pair) and rear "trunk lid" rear window rubber seals/gaskets.  Mine are totally shot.  I've tried Rudy with no results.  Does anyone have or know where I can purchase new ones?  OR does any one have any pretty decent used ones available.  I DO NOT have the rear window rubber at all but understand that the Sedan rubber seal is the same, just a little longer. 

I'd love to finally take my car to some events and to the Northwest Spring Meeting but I just can't do it without window!!  I definitely need some help.

Please............somebody out there has to have something that will work.  My car is not a trailer queen but will be used basically as a daily driver.  For used stuff, all it's gotta do is fit, look decent and work.  If necessary I can try to slightly modify rubber seals/gaskets to make them work.

Also I'm in need of the self centering brake shoes.  Apparently Kaiser used standard and self centering brake systems.  Standards won't work unless I change out the whole system.  I do understand these style brakes were used on different vehicles, Studebaker and maybe a 60's Chevy Pickup. DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON FINDING THESE SHOES OR KNOW OF WHAT OTHER VEHICLE THEY MAY HAVE BEEN USED ON.

Thanks for any help I can get. 

Charley Kaiser #7232 (previous member #2426 - yep, left for a couple of years and when I rejoined in '96 I ended up with a new number)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need help with 1949 Kaiser Traveler window rubber seals
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
Hi,

You should have received KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 on a CD in the fall of 2013; there is a section on the CD that is marked FACTORY PARTS LIST SUPPLEMENTS there is the supplemental parts list on the different types of brake systems used on Kaiser and Frazer cars in the 1949-50 model run (there were 3 different set-ups).  This will give you the part numbers for what you would need & most vendors within the cluib go by these numbers. 

Unfortunately, Barbara and I moved just before Christmas and are still unpacking the house so I cannot access the 1949 Illustrated Parts Book that I have to look up part numbers for the window rubbers.  You are correct that the Traveler/Vagabond window is a different size than the sedan so needs a different rubber.  You may also be able to make your own weatherseal, but I am not familiar with how that works as I am a history guy and not a mechanics or parts guy.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
Switching from the self centering brakes to the standard style only requires new backing plates, brake shoes and the associated hardware, all of which is readily available and much less expensive than the original equipment. I own a 50 Traveler and made the switch when I bought my car several years ago. Backing plates from any 1947 thru 55 full size Kaiser that does not use the Wagner self centering brakes will work.

Regarding the rear back glass gasket, it is the same as the 49-50 sedan, only shorter.

As for the upper and lower hatch gaskets, at one time Restoration Specialties in Windber PA carried the correct material, however, I've been told they no longer carry an exact match. Their catalog is on line - I suggest you visit it and check out what they have to offer. You might be able to find something that will work. Keep in mind that even with the best seals, the rear hatch will leak in the rain.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:11:07 PM »
Regarding the gaskets for the rear hatch, while they likely won't have an exact replacement, these guys may have something useable -

http://metrommp.com/

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios