Author Topic: Information needed - 1949 Kaiser Deluxe convertible  (Read 10354 times)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Information needed - 1949 Kaiser Deluxe convertible
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
This site only allows you to show images hosted on other sites.
If you wish you can email me your images and I will host them for you and send you back the link for your posting.
jimbetts@q.com
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks very much!  When I saw "attach" I assumed I could attach up to four files.  I will send them to you later tonight for hosting.  I appreciate that!   Tim

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »
Please give the following link a try to see five shots of the LeMay Museum 1949 Kaiser Deluxe and the 1951 Frazer Vagabond.  I have additional shots if anyone is interested.  Tim

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=Hallenti&target=ALBUM&id=5467591232154250977&authkey=Gv1sRgCO_XiMe8r8q1Bg&feat=email

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:16:50 PM by Hallenti »

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
Interesting News on the LeMay Museum in Tacoma Washington

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/2453

Can hardly wait for it to be completed
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »
On the original topic I started, I am stilling working with the Curator on the KF numbers from the various plates on the Museum vehicles, so I haven't forgotten about that - just hit a slowdown.  What with the new Museum ground breaking just announced yesterday, things have been a bit hectic at best.  I'd encourage you to follow this Museum link and check out the current collection and the plans for the new Museum.     http://www.lemaymuseum.org   

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
Does anyone have the numbers from the Kiaser Frazer cars at the Automobile driving museum in El Segund, CA?

I can get them if needed.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
I have the door jam numbers from the 1949 Kaiser Dekuxe convertible in the LeMay collection.  Still waiting to get someone to open the hood for those engine plate numbers.  The door jam numbers are:  K-492-032553.  Does this give enough information for me to get details on this car?  Thanks in advance, Tim
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:44:18 PM by Hallenti »

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
I have been able to get the under-hood plate numbers and am posting them below as well as having sent them to Jack for him to look up the various bits of information they provide.  Some of the information appears columnar and the representation below (since this is a TrueType font) isn't accurate, but the version sent to Jack is correct.

Door tag:
Serial #:  K-942-032553

Under hood tag:
MODEL    BODY    PAINT    TRIM     TC
   492        2        300       2202     RT

BODY#
1017  H4D

1 1               4           91           83
HCDS   SPEC. FO.    SCHED.    ITEM NO
RLRL

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
According to K-F confidential bulletins the "4" at the SPEC-FO area is probably supposed to be the AG 4 that would be located right next to the SPEC-FO header.  I've asked by separate e-mail for the door post serial number as well.  The car as built at the factory appears to have a factory line-installed heater and overdrive.

Hallenti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
I received the following very interesting information from Jack and wanted to post it here for everyone, as it is very interesting and informative:

"Let me start by pulling some numbers from Page 24 of the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation Operating Report for the 3 months ending March 31, 1949:

1.  As of March 31, 1949, the company built 11 convertibles;  1 was prior to 12/31/49.  Two more were built in January 1949, 6 were built in February 1949 and 2 more were built in March.

2.  As of December 31, 1948, the company produced 31,179 Kaiser Deluxe automobiles, all models; in January 1949 the company built 4,619 more Deluxe types including convertibles.

3.  Page 23 of the same operating report indicates that only 6 of the 11 convertibles built had been cleared as OK by final inspection as of March 31, 1949;  the difference in numbers suggests that the 5 not cleared were produced in February 1949.  Of the remaining 6, only 1 was cleared in January 1949, but the report shows 2 were OK'd during calendar year 1948.  There is no explanation in the report for the discrepancy between counts on this page and page 24.  My assumption is that one of the two January convertibles was built and run through Final Inspection at the beginning of the month.  This is plausible according to serial numbers (it would have been the 374th car built in January which indicates production during the first week of the month).

Kaiser Deluxe serial numbers started out K492-001001.   That makes the convertible the 31,553rd 1949 Kaiser Deluxe built.  Based on the factory figures, it would have been built in January 1949 and be one of 2 convertibles built that month.  Now for the kicker.  The following is a caption for a picture published in the February 11, 1949 issue of KAISER-FRAZER DEALER NEWS:

Thwarting Souvenir Hunters was the job handed Ezra Kennedy, body shop mechanic at Washington Motors [the K-F distributor in Washington DC at that time-JM].  To make sure that no one made off with the special Inaugural license plates used on the K-F convertibles, he welded them to the brackets.  The car in this picture is Indian Ceramic with black leather trim.  Mechanics worked all night prior to the parade to put cars in top shape.

The caption for another picture indicates that Kaiser-Frazer supplied 1 Red, 1White and 1 Blue convertible for use in the Truman Inaugural.  Two of the cars were Kaisers, 1 was a Frazer (actual colors were Indian Ceramic, Polar Gray and Horizon Blue, with the Frazer painted Polar Gray).  Based on a date of January 20, 1949 and time required to release the car as OK at the factory, transport to Washington, etc, it seems likely that the convertible you have in the museum could have been the same car used in the parade, as there was only 1 convertible built prior to January 1, 1949 and only 2 cars were built in the entire month of January.     Because there is nothing that I have that identifies specific serial numbers I cannot be 100% positive, but it sure looks like it.

You might want to contact Jim Betts to see if he has an ORIGINAL of the DEALER NEWS issue noted above; mine is a place-holder photocopy.  You could scan the article and the pictures from the issue and use it for part of the display if you want to.

Jack Mueller"