Author Topic: insturment cluster  (Read 1730 times)

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
insturment cluster
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
I need to install a new instrument cluster in my 55. (speedometer fried) took it to a local mechanic he dropped the steering wheel to get to the cluster got it loose but told me he could not remove it. Is their a secret to doing this?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: insturment cluster
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
Yes, to get the instrument cluster out without removing the upper half of the dash, do this:

1. Obtain a roll of wide blue masking tape. Use the b lue stuff because it won't pull off paint. Use it to tape around the opening of the cluster. This will prevent scratches when you put it back.
2. Remove the speedo cable from the back of the unit.
3. Unplug the wiring harness connector.
4. Remove the screws that hold gearshift cover and the instrument cluster in place.
5. Tilt the bottom of the cluster towards the front of the car.
6. CAREFULLY turn the cluster so that the right side starts to stick out of the opening. You should now have the cluster at about a 45 degree angle with it face down and the right side closer to you than the left.
7. Work the unit back and forth until it comes out.
You may have to drop the lower dash unit a bit to help with removal. There are screws and bolts that hold it in place. Once removed, you'll get about an inch of drop, that should be all you need.

I once spoke to a gent who's job it was to install dash parts at KF. He said that even when new, they were not easy to assemble. I can believe him...

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »
Thanks Joe I will print this and give it to te mechanic

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »
What is the process for removing a 53 Speedometer Cluster??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com