Author Topic: 53 Manhattan - help identifying leaks?  (Read 951 times)

westmorland

• View Profile
53 Manhattan - help identifying leaks?
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »

I recently took possession of my late father's 53 Manhattan.  I purchased it for him in 2013 and it was well maintained and frequently driven before he passed last June.   Since then it has pretty much just sat in his driveway.  I've started it a number of times over the last year, but didn't drive it anywhere myself as the registration expired shortly after he passed and I wasn't going to renew the NY registration.  I had it shipped to me last week.  I drove it from his house to a main road so it could be loaded onto the transport truck, about a mile.   When it was delivered I just put it in my garage for a few days.   On Monday I took it out for a quick drive, to fill up the tank, see how she handled, and show it to my mechanic.  The drive was about 7.5 miles.   I pulled the car out of the garage this afternoon to do some work, and saw some fluids on the concrete.   The attached photos show closeups of the fluids, a wide shot to show where they are, and a shot with the car in the garage to give an idea of where the spots are in relation to the car itself.   Based on the color, texture and smell, I'm guessing the fluid in the rear is grease, but I've never really worked on cars besides helping my dad with some break jobs and oil changes as a kid.   KF cars were my Dad's passion, and I'm slowly transferring his extensive library and parts collection.  I'm sure I've got a 53 Shop manual around here somewhere, but not sure where at the moment.

So, can anyone help me identify what these leaks may be?  Also, if anyone reading is in the Washington DC Area, I could use some recommendations for mechanics.  My mechanic doesn't know Kaisers at all, and is a bit reluctant to work on older vehicles.  He hasn't worked on them in a long time himself, and most of his guys have never touched anything pre mid 80s.
1953 4 door Manhattan
1954 2 door Early Special

westmorland

• View Profile
Re: 53 Manhattan - help identifying leaks?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
pic
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:56:54 PM by westmorland »
1953 4 door Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
Your Kaiser is just marking its territory. Let one sit for any length of time and seals begin to dry and shrink with the results you see. The puddles are a result of a leaky rear main seal - between the engine and transmission is where it'll drip from, and rear axle seal where the driveshaft yoke mounts. Sometimes just driving the car gets the seals to swell and do their job. If not, put a catch pan underneath the car if the oil stains are bothersome.

Any seal is replaceable, some are more costly than others so if the drip stays a drip, you may want to live with it.

Nice car...I had a 53 just like yours...leaked too!

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 07:32:38 AM »
If You're Kaiser has Hydromatic, rear seal will some times have a drop of fluid. I was told this is how it lubricants rear seal ?
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

westmorland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  There are lots of little things I need to do, so I'm glad these are "normal" features I need to keep an eye on, vs sign of a major mechanical failure coming on. 
1953 4 door Manhattan

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:07:12 PM »
Yes,
Check Your fluids more often for Vintage Vehicles. Do You have Power Stearing ? Hydromatic, Oil, Radiator. On Trips Keep a Eye on Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel.

See this is Ultimate Best but Sorry no Lights will come on so Know Your Gages Normal Reading.
No Idiot lights will come on . I have many Long Distant trips & no Problems.

Have Fun Safe Driving...

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
Yes,
Check Your fluids more often for Vintage Vehicles. Do You have Power Stearing ? Hydromatic, Oil, Radiator. On Trips Keep a Eye on Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel.

See this is Ultimate Best but Sorry no Idiot Lights will come on so Know Your Gages Normal Reading.
I have many Long Distant trips & no Problems.

Have Fun Safe Driving... Please Join Our Club to have some Fun with Your Kaiser.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:11:11 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »

westmorland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
I'm already a club member, have been for a couple of years.  I've been registered on the forum longer, but never had anything to post about, just lurked and looked for a car to buy him.  My Dad was member #590.

No power steering on this one, just the hydramatic.   Dad's only requirement when he was looking for one to drive.  He didn't want to deal with a manual.  Power steering was optional for him.

The only issue my father ever really complained about was the temperature gauge (He posted on it here a few years ago http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5748.msg26524.html#msg26524), so the fluid leaks were a bit of a surprise to me, since he told me everything, and I do mean everything, that happened with the car.  There were lots of little minor things (horn not always working, radio out, wipers only working on the first notch, etc.) but he didn't really care about those.  He only drove the car in perfect weather, never more than about 15 miles from the house, didn't listen to the radio because he was focused on listening to how the car was running.  The temperature gauge had him worried because he didn't want to get stranded somewhere, but even though it showed hot, when he actually checked the temp it was fine. 

1953 4 door Manhattan