Author Topic: 1951 Henry J For Sale  (Read 750 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
1951 Henry J For Sale
« on: September 09, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »
Found this on craiglist near me. If someone is seriously interested, I can inspect further for the cost of fuel.

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-henry-project/6689439916.html

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 1951 Henry J For Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
Pretty typical for a Henry J. Edgar Kaiser once defended the steel used in the Henry J saying it was the same thickness and quality of that used in the big cars but it's easy to see that's not true. That, combined with less attention to corrosion resistance meant these cars tended to rust quickly. Inner and outer rocker panels are available and the floor pans themselves are easy to fabricate.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »
Last summer I attended an auction where several Henry J and Allstate vehicles were offered in a mix of somewhere around 700 others. The cars were in varying degrees of disrepair and most brought very strong money, proving there's still a market for Henry Js. One fellow bought at least three of them and praises to restore them to stock - something I'm seeing happen more often.

I'm sure this car needs everything so the asking price might be a bit optimistic, but it's a place to start a conversation.

Here's a link to the auction I mentioned.
http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,10598.msg48327.html#msg48327

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
What the newcomers may not be aware of was back when K-F products and Willys products were new after World War II, undercoating as such or other metal protecterants (besides "bonderizing") commonly used in the 1960's and later were not prevelant in the United States.  The only way you could get a Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, or Allstate (along with a Willys product) was to have the vehicle delivered to its first retail owner at the factory.  I don't know what Willys-Overland and successors charged, but K-F charged dealers $20.00 with a suggested retail of $25.00).  A lot of dealers either did not have the room or the interest (or both) in creating an undercoating area so they could do the work.  The result is that cars in the midwest, plains states and parts of the east coast were succeptible to exposure to salt.  How things were sealed by welds determined where the worst rot would set in first.  Even Nash and Hudson, leaders in the postwar unitbody field had severe rot problems, even though the bodies were literally dipped in corrosion-retardant materials that were electrostaticly bonded to the metal of the body.  There is a reason why you see even fewer Nash and Hudson cars today...I walked the old junk yards and saw the deep coil springs popping out the top of the inner fender towers and even through hoods as rust weakened the metal the springs were attached to.

In the case of the Henry J and Allstate, the same 20 gauge steel sheet used to stamp body panels on the Henry J was used on the Kaisers and Frazers as well.  It was lack of treatment with rust inhibitors or undercoating materials that did cars in.  Most Kaiser-Frazer products were sold east of the Rocky Mountians and north of the "Mason-Dixon Line and the Missouri Compromise line" going from the Atlantic coast, west across the continental United States.  They had good reason to call this part of the country "the rust belt" and you had outfits like Rusty Jones, Ziebart, Polyglycoat and other aftermarket undercoating people operating into the 1990's.