Author Topic: Pertronix conversion  (Read 1123 times)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Pertronix conversion
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

Anyone have first hand experience with the Pertronix conversion with 6v ignition? I'm thinking of converting my 161 f-head.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pertronix conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:15:04 PM »
why?

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
why?

Working with all the tiny parts that require fine adjustment on the workbench was challenge enough for me these days. That's certainly not going to get better.
Right now there's no fenders or hood on my car, pulling the distributor now would be easy compared to regularly maintaining points later buried halfway down the side of engine while humped over a fender.

Plus all the reasons electronic ignitions have been industry wide for decades now.

If you have a reason why not, share it.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
Basically. how many miles do you drive?
I put10K miles on both my HJ and Darrin before I checked the points.  No change in performance so why bother.
Now even at 14K on the Darrin, points are still fine.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »
Basically. how many miles do you drive?
I put10K miles on both my HJ and Darrin before I checked the points.  No change in performance so why bother.
Now even at 14K on the Darrin, points are still fine.
I didn't say a car would stop running because the points were degraded, just that I didn't want to do the required maintenance to keep points in proper tune. An engine with pitted & worn points will still start & run a long time, but that isn't the same as having it in tune.

I've dressed/adjusted/changed a lot of points, more in that Malibu than any other car I've owned, and I can attest that at 3,000 miles a new set of points have lost their edge. Doesn't mean it wouldn't have run thousands more as a grocery getter.

If you're happy with 14,000 mile points in your sports car that's ok. I started this thread asking for first hand knowledge about Pertronix ignition.

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
I've had Petronics fail.  And guess what, no spare in trunk.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »
A friend had a Pertronix unit in his 49 Frazer and I tried driving it home from a meet a few years ago. The car ran rough with a serious miss. We finally trailered it and upon investigation found that the distributor shaft wobbled in the housing causing inconsistent connectivity with the electronic pickup. So, for those considering Pertronix, be sure you have a good distributor to work with.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
I installed a Pertronix on my 1951 Frazer Manhattan along with a  Pertronix coil and a suppression plug wire set. I also installed a set of E3 spark plugs. I have had no problems and the Frazer runs and pulls uphills great. I rebuilt the distributor and made sure the vacuum advance is working properly. I also advanced the static timing just a tad to ensure the total timing was at the max at full throttle. My 1951 Manhattan is hydramatic and I have added power steering and power brakes, so it is also sweet to drive.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:12:52 AM by DTort96646 »

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing fellas. Gorgeous ride DTort96646, inside and out!