Author Topic: Just dreaming  (Read 1064 times)

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
Just dreaming
« on: March 30, 2019, 11:34:24 AM »
If I were to ever be blessed with the money I would begin production of the 1954 Kaiser cars...and...an updated version, using some of the concept drawings in "Onslaught...", as well as some of my own ideas.  In 1957, while in high school, and drawing car concepts, I drew the 1977 Corvette almost curve for curve.  I participated 3 years in the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild, a program by GM where you drew and built model cars and sent them in for design considerations.  My second year I managed Honorable Mention in a 3 state area and a check for $150.  In my 3rd year I introduced bar headlights.  Just dreaming.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just dreaming
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:30:33 PM »
Funny you should mention your prescience of the Corvette yet to be, I'm curious if you sent it in to GM while you participated in the Guild.
I know a guy that tried diligently to hire on at GM as a designer and also penned a concept of an updated Camaro which he sent in with several other drawings. Years later the recently produced Camaro came out, strikingly close to his concept drawing.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
MarkH,  I had fun drawing, and was encouraged to send in drawings, but didn't think I had enough continuous ideas to make it.  Oh, in customizing the '54 Chevy Bel Air I did the "drop" of the window line just before the rear wheel cutout, was told by a designer that you don't do that, but Detroit did anyway.  I also designed a multi-use design like the Esculade, but had 4 ways of using it.  Some say I missed my "calling", but am good at figures (except mine) and didn't try being a Math teacher.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:12:54 AM »
It’s happening more & more. All of Our Vehicle’s Today Look The Same. It’s Very Sad. Copy Cats.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:05:18 AM »
It may not be copying as much as going to the wind tunnel and getting the same Aero result. Only so many ways to sculpt a jelly Bean.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:59:07 PM »
The design of the recent TBird was....well...hmm....1st Grade design.