Author Topic: Cost of adding power steering  (Read 879 times)

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
Cost of adding power steering
« on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:12 PM »
I intend to have a professional shop add power steering to a '49 Kaiser Special but have no idea what a reasonable cost would be.  Anyone have a estimate that you care to share?  Just a ballpark figure will be OK as I realize that there are many variables.

Thank you,

Johny

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cost of adding power steering
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 04:30:10 AM »
I did all the work myself to add the power steering and power brakes onto my Manhattan, including the design and fabrication. There are no direct bolt on power steering or power brake assemblies available for these cars. Realistically, you could be spending several thousand dollars to convert your vehicle depending upon the ability and experience of the folks you hire. My costs were low, because I only had to but the items I could not fabricate such as the pump, the steering gear, and the brake booster cylinder assembly. I have over 55 years experience with automobiles, so this comes naturally. There are some shops selling 49-50 Mercury power steering conversions, different than what you need but could give you an idea of what the parts could cost. I converted my Manhattan because that is what I wanted and am so glad I did.

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cost of adding power steering
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »
Thank you for the reply.  I recall the work you did installing power steering.  It was very impressive and way beyond what I could possibly attempt.