Author Topic: Authentic Cadillac Darrin's  (Read 1497 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Authentic Cadillac Darrin's
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:45:40 PM »
have you been following Geoff Hackers stories on Undiscovered Classics?  One of the correspondents knew Dutch Darrin and Dutch told him that he put Cadillac motors in three Darrins around and after 1955.  That is a far cry from the fifty claimed by other sources and kind of sets the record straight..  One is in a named museum and the others seem unaccounted for.  It is an interesting read.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:56:47 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Authentic Cadillac Darrin's
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
I would think the lower count be Right. Would make more rare at 3. Plus a Rare Vehicle already You tend to not want to Go Modified. You never know if would be a Success.

Like all of Our rare Vehicles after so many Years if only 3 show up, that’s the answer.   

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:33:02 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »
have you been following Geoff Hackers stories on Undiscovered Classics?  One of the correspondents knew Dutch Darrin and Dutch told him that he put Cadillac motors in three Darrins around and after 1955.  That is a far cry from the fifty claimed by other sources and kind of sets the record straight..  One is in a named museum and the others seem unaccounted for.  It is an interesting read.

So many versions of the urban legion have been in print.
Several years ago, I asked one of Dutch's son for a confirmation of the legion.  He and his brother talked it over and got back with me.
I stated the answer at the end of a Darrin Newsletter.
I had naively thought that one, it would elicit an excited response from readers (only one responded), and two, it would put it to rest.
Quite obviously, at that time, either not many read the Newsletter to the end, not many cared or believed me.
So now, we have new "facts" from a correspondent, not from family.
How soon we forget.
BTW...answer from living family is one, as in 1!

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
Who are we going to believe, Dutch Darrin or his family?  I always thought it was probably one also until I read Geoff's thread which you may enjoy and you can add your experience with contacting the family.  Apparently Dutch entered two Cad powered Darrins in a Palm Springs road race and one was driven by Briggs Cunningham's wife and another by a man named Sinatra who promptly rolled the car early in the race.  I'm sorry to have missed your article but it was not available to club members.  There are many photos in the article including the Darrin upside down on the track.  The correspondent in this case was the owner of the one known car now in a museum in Missouri.  All of you Darrin historians will enjoy reading Geoff's article.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:25:10 AM by Gordie »
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
Gordie , only one Cad powered Darrin was entered into that race. Howard "Dutch" Darrin was the listed owner The one driven by Maxine Elmer was the Cad powered Darrin and that car returned to the pits with no brakes before one lap was completed. The second Darrin was a super charged 161 driven by Ralph Sinatra. That car rolled over and was uprighted. There is a Vemo video online of Sinatra's car. The entrance roster for the Palm Springs race is on the SCCA website. The 1955 Palm Springs race.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:34:22 AM by DTort96646 »

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »
The subject here is Looking for Our Rare Vehicle’s. Gordie this is the Most Important Statement You made above
( I'm sorry to have missed your article but it was not available to club members.)
This should never happen again. All Club Members need to know the Rare Vehicle’s & Be Looking for Them.

Some want to stay Private & That’s Ok. I have One Family that has a All Vinyl Dragon. Members of Family still in the Club. We have a Club Member that Tells Me They still have it. Thanks, That is what I want to Here. We have rare Vehicles Sold that Leaves The Club, This is Not what You want to Hear.

So This is Why We need to Keep Promoting Our Club.  We have so Much We can offer Them with the knowledge of Our Products.  Then New Members can to Promote Our Club & Get New Members. Plus, Looking for the Rare Ones.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:57:58 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 02:24:30 PM »
Thanks guys, I am not the expert but was trying to pass on interesting articles and information when I find it.  I appreciate your feedback.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Terry T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:58:28 AM »
Who are we going to believe, Dutch Darrin or his family?  I always thought it was probably one also until I read Geoff's thread which you may enjoy and you can add your experience with contacting the family.  Apparently Dutch entered two Cad powered Darrins in a Palm Springs road race and one was driven by Briggs Cunningham's wife and another by a man named Sinatra who promptly rolled the car early in the race.  I'm sorry to have missed your article but it was not available to club members.  There are many photos in the article including the Darrin upside down on the track.  The correspondent in this case was the owner of the one known car now in a museum in Missouri.  All of you Darrin historians will enjoy reading Geoff's article.
/quote]

Since its beginning, The Kaiser Darrin Newsletter has been sent to KD owners who agree to be a member of the Registry/Roster. Some of those owners are members of KFOCI, and many are not for various reasons. 
Since the Newsletter/Registry operates financially independent of KFOCI for publication/mailing, operating by donations of KD owners, it has  not been sent to non-KD owners, although it has been send to KFOCI officers.
This was in effect when I inherited the position from Dave Antram. and I continued operating in that fashion until new management took over.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:06:07 AM by Terry T »

Terry T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 06:26:12 AM »
HOW SOON SOME FORGET AND HOW QUICKLY MANY ARE READY TO CRITICIZE..

RE:  April 4, 2018 Forum entries--for those that care

Re: 1954 Kaiser Darrin                                     

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:37 PM

the family has confirmed to me that Dutch did only one Caddy conversion and the "50" that he bought is a myth

Re: 1954 Kaiser Darrin                                     

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »

Thanks Terry,  That kind of information puts the questions to rest regarding him buying fifty left over Darrin's.  I am sure that any Kaiser vehicles unsold in 1955 were discounted to dealers before K-W stopped production of passenger cars.  There were not enough Darrin's made to even have one for each dealer.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:57:53 PM by Gordie »

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
Funny how Terry is criticizing criticizing isn't it? 

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Terry, no one has criticized you and as an officer of the club for six years I never saw a copy of the Darrin newsletter.  Please don't shoot the messenger!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom