Author Topic: Brake shoe specifics  (Read 1874 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Brake shoe specifics
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:09 PM »
I've noted the previous comments about avoiding brake shoes with metal content that are too hard. Have been looking around, and two common brands that are available for KF are Wagner PAB 53 and Raybestos  53PG. The only data I can find on their composition is that they are "OEM materials." In our case, this would be asbestos, which I doubt. Has anyone bought/eyeballed either of these brands and can say that they do not have metal content and are not too hard? Haven't figured any other way to find out before buying. Thanx.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake shoe specifics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
Anything currently coming off the shelves of auto parts houses should NOT be asbestos;  that stuff was banned from brake use, what, 20 years ago...maybe even longer?  Go back to the source of this "OEM Materials" information and ask them for a definition of what that means. 

As for current compositions compared to what K-F and other car companies used when the cars were new, I have not heard of anyone having any brake-related problems with OLDER CARS regarding metal content, etc.  Brake systems have changed significantly since 1965 especially when you have combination disk/drum set ups. 

Lastly, look at the numbers you give.  I would not be too surprised to find out that analysis of the Wagner and Raybestos products are one in the same...only the name and the box has changed.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
For a while, Autozone was selling reman brake shoes for KF (part #173) that seemed to have a fairly soft compund. I have a set on my 50K and they stop the car well. NAPA also carries reman shoes but their compund is "harder" and I've noticed that it takes more pedal pressure to stop using their shoes. The NAPA set look alot like semi-metallic material but don't seem to have as much sintered iron in them as modern pads shoes do.

OEM material was indeed asbestos impregnated and cannot be sold today as new. The material used now isn't quite as soft, I've found, but still stops the car!

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
The new linings I have seen are black in color and are Polyamide (Kelvar like) composition. These are hard! But if you have power assisted brakes (Unlike most all KF cars, stock or otherwise) that may not be such a problem.  #173 shoes were sold for disk brake Studebakers. The shoes I have seen look the same as #53 with the difference being the length of the lining.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
In case you are confused, #173 is for the rear axle! Studebaker also used an unbelievably small wheel cylinder on this application to avoid the use a proportioning valve.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170