Author Topic: 51-54 Kaiser color chip pages available on Ebay...  (Read 544 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
51-54 Kaiser color chip pages available on Ebay...
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/51-54-KAISER-FRAZER-Original-Paint-Chips-Color-Samples-4-Pages-DITZLER-PPG/174098539881?hash=item288914e569:g:XAEAAOSwL05d~Gzu

I'd love to buy them myself, but I've expended myself on the car for a time...

No reason someone else in the club shouldn't have a shot at them, if it's something they've been looking for.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51-54 Kaiser color chip pages available on Ebay...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 02:30:22 AM »
There are two things to be aware of with original K-F or Willys color charts from various paint sources:

1.  As time goes by the chips age and there is color shift, some colors worse than others.

2.  Stock numbers or mixing formuli on the old charts are no longer useable. 

PPG Automotive Finishes provides color match service to their jobbers at no cost to the jobbers.  They just need the original paint color name (like Saddle Bronze Metallic) and the paint number off the firewall.  They have their original reference samples in a temp/humidity controlled enviornment and a computer spectrograph that can translate the scan of the chip to colors currently in production.  Note that the mixing formula is considered confidential information and jobbers are told NOT to pass the formula to customers.  ICL Automotive (the former Rinshed-Mason) has similar type of support for their jobbers. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »
I was looking at it from the standpoint of having it as part of a reference library on these cars, not for actual color matching.  For example, I'd love to have one of the original fabric books with samples of the available interior appointments, but I know that's gonna cost some coin if one shows up.  Another seller had a '51 owner's manual for sale, but it was rather beat up, and I thought a bit over priced.  I was going to talk with Larry first before I pull the trigger on anything like that.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »
The color chips are nice to have and fortunately they are often on eBay.  They are the best source for true colors other than looking under your hood for an original color.  I have hundreds of paint chip pages and the only ones I have found to fade are the ones done in lacquer in the pre WWII days.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom