Author Topic: 1949 kaiser engine removal  (Read 495 times)

Kuretake

• View Profile
    • Email
1949 kaiser engine removal
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
I'm going to have to pull my engine unfortunately, I pulled my oil breather off and found green mucus like sludge so either my head is blown or my steamy breakdown vented into the pipe somehow the oil was drained after but it came out black. I have the parts and shop manual but it states that I have to remove my transmission W/ OD also. Is this procedure that i must follow or can I just disconnect it from the clutch housing and leave the trans in?  I'm in my 20's and never done anything like this so any pointers would be appreciated. Also what is the exact length of the fan belt? All I wanted to do was replace my fan belt but I stumbled on this  :'(

P.S. Always chuck the thermostat that comes in the engine when you buy it
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:26:46 PM by Kuretake »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 1949 kaiser engine removal
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »
I have a 1950 Kaiser and here's what I found when pulling/reinstalling the engine.

1. Remove the hood. Best done by removing the screws that hold the hood to the hinges. You'll probably have to heat them to get them loose.

2. Removing the engine is best done with the front clip off the car. Pulling the clip in one assembly is relatively easy - remove the bolts holding the fenders to the body, disconnect (and tag) any wiring that is attached, and remove the three radiator cradle lower support nuts/bolts at the frame as well as the hood release cable retainer at the latch. You'll need some help but the whole clip will then simply lift off.

3. Once the hood and clip are off, you'll have easy access to things like the exhaust system, which must be disconnected at the manifold, and anything else you might want to remove. I pulled the generator, starter and manifolds off just to lighten the lift.

4. Pull the engine with the transmission attached. At reassembly, it will be MUCH easier to put the two together off the car. Been there and done that. Be sure to disconnect the driveshaft, speedometer cable - and wiring, if your car has overdrive.

Removing the engine can be done with the clip in place, however, the radiator cradle upper support sits rather high which means you need to tilt the engine at quite an angle to remove/replace. It's not too difficult when removing, but at reinstallation, it's more difficult because there's no weight on the front springs so everything sits much higher. Again, learned from experience.

The fan belt is 43 1/2". I used Dayco part number 15435.

I hope this helps!