Author Topic: If only it was true....  (Read 7170 times)

larryk

• View Profile
Re: If only it was true....
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
Print doesn't exist for a given subject, only for specific posts. 

Not true. I just "printed" this entire thread (attached as PDF to this post). It literally took me 3 seconds.

Perhaps you misunderstood...that was my point.  I can "print" individual threads, but not entire sections of the forum.  For example, if I wanted to save the "Kaiser Forum" subsection, I would need to open and "print" each and every thread with that subsection.  There is no "print" option for forum subsections, nor for the forum as a whole...

Which also goes to my previous issue...currently I only own one Kaiser...will I need the HJ info later should an HJ come my way?  Do I spend hours clicking through each and every thread in each and every subsection and printing them to a computer doc, just in anticipation I may or may not one day own an HJ, or a Virginian, or a Traveler?

Barbra, not trying to beat you up. You do a fantastic job with the Bulletin, and have been most helpful when questions need answering! That said, I agree with the points that Konrad makes about printing. But, after reading Chris' post on the subject, the points are moot. The legacy data will be there for those of us who can use it.
'53 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
'63 Chevy Impala (Wife's car)
'73 Datsun 240Z F Prepared autocross
'76 Datsun 280Z
'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
KFOCI # 16269

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
Print doesn't exist for a given subject, only for specific posts. 

Not true. I just "printed" this entire thread (attached as PDF to this post). It literally took me 3 seconds.

...currently I only own one Kaiser...will I need the HJ info later should an HJ come my way?  Do I spend hours clicking through each and every thread in each and every subsection and printing them to a computer doc, just in anticipation I may or may not one day own an HJ, or a Virginian, or a Traveler?

This method strikes me as trying beforehand to decide what pages of an encyclopedia to preserve...........where do you start........or stop?

As someone whose IT career was intimately involved with databases, I'd be happy to offer any help I can in finding a solution moving forward...

If you can send me a copy of the current MySQL data dictionary file I can begin a cursory examination of what it may entail on the read end.  If moving to something like phpBB, generally that software also uses MySQL, so a script to move the data shouldn't be incredibly difficult to create...

I like this idea....a lot, and it might work.

No doubt my knowledge is pitifully dated at this point, but I have a bit of insight. Without belaboring the issue with too many details, I operated a website for a couple years quite a while back, in an extremely competitive area of interest at that time.
I utilized the.......services...... of some fellows, expert in the area of accessing & extracting pretty much anything I wanted, in a useful format, from my competitors websites. So I know it's potentially possible.

If Konrad wants to help, let him take a shot at it. Like I said in a previous thread, the main value now of this forum is the info archived here, it would be nice to see it make the jump to the new site.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 06:51:18 PM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »
One last question I have...

The new forum will be limited to KFOCI members only, correct?

The Faceplant page is open to all correct?

Will you be limiting the Faceplant page to only those who are members? 

Or will it be open to all...freely...sorta like the forum has been for lo these many years?

And if the Faceplant page will be open to all, regardless of their membership status, how do you justify closing the forum to non-members?  Forgive me if I find that position somewhat hypocritical...hey...I don't give the shits, I just disturb them...  :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:31:26 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2020, 01:10:57 AM »
At CIRCLEKF.COM we run a MYSQL database with 115 tables, 1.5 Million Records, that take up 182 Megabytes of storage.  I have no interest in running a Forum and having to delete nasty posts and being a police person.  Many kudos to the folks who have the patience to do that.

CIRCLEKF.com is a site dedicated to preserving Kaiser Frazer history... This seems to a preserving history thing.  If this history is sent to me I will do my best to keep it alive.  Historically speaking this appears to be 5 to 10 tables with a couple hundred thousand records.   I will load the tables and build a couple of searches to let everyone find old posts on the topics they seek.

I would suggest you look at the statistic page you can access from the top page of this forum.  The stats give you a pretty good idea about the amount of stuff we will be losing if we fail to archive it.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 02:58:33 PM »
At CIRCLEKF.COM we run a MYSQL database with 115 tables, 1.5 Million Records, that take up 182 Megabytes of storage.  I have no interest in running a Forum and having to delete nasty posts and being a police person.  Many kudos to the folks who have the patience to do that.

CIRCLEKF.com is a site dedicated to preserving Kaiser Frazer history... This seems to a preserving history thing.  If this history is sent to me I will do my best to keep it alive.  Historically speaking this appears to be 5 to 10 tables with a couple hundred thousand records.   I will load the tables and build a couple of searches to let everyone find old posts on the topics they seek.

I would suggest you look at the statistic page you can access from the top page of this forum.  The stats give you a pretty good idea about the amount of stuff we will be losing if we fail to archive it.

Another good idea!

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »
One last question I have...

The new forum will be limited to KFOCI members only, correct?

The Faceplant page is open to all correct?

Will you be limiting the Faceplant page to only those who are members? 

Or will it be open to all...freely...sorta like the forum has been for lo these many years?

And if the Faceplant page will be open to all, regardless of their membership status, how do you justify closing the forum to non-members?  Forgive me if I find that position somewhat hypocritical...hey...I don't give the shits, I just disturb them...  :D

The Official Kaiser Frazer Owners Club Int'l FACEBOOK page is restricted to club members only.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2020, 09:03:24 PM »

The Official Kaiser Frazer Owners Club Int'l FACEBOOK page is restricted to club members only.

Both KF Facebook groups state they're public. Once my wife logged onto her Facebook page she could access both groups, and is a member of neither, or the club.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
I've been a member of KFOCI now for 8 years. I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I want one. I use this Forum for entertainment and learning about KF. Without this Forum it will be time to sell my Manhattan and get out of the club. Thanks guys for the memories.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2020, 02:41:50 AM »
Kaiser Kid, If you have been a member of the club for 8 years, how have you used the KFOCI HANDBOOK cd you got with your new member packet?  It has the equivilient of over 1300 pages of information and photographs dealing with company history, cars, and other things K-F or Willys.  Please post a reply on this.  I want to do some market research before the next version becomes available (expected) in the first quarter of 2021.

Likewise, what do you think about content of the bulletin (intended for ads and information on recently held or upcoming club functions) as well as the Quarterly (service information, stories about members, historical stuff and a bit more)?

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2020, 07:28:51 AM »
I would not bother. Its a great CD but that method is outdated. Ive never looked at my CD
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:41:15 PM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2020, 08:15:37 AM »
I have looked at the CD, it does have great info, but like most little things, it has been misplaced. I restore carburetors on the side, and this forum has provided pictures that are not available on the CD. I have also found radio repair, body parts and other KF related items on the forum that never made it to the Bulletin. A free forum is the best "In" for our club. I started on this forum before I became a member of the club. Facebook may be a good place to have a Forum, but you need to have an account. I don't need or want Facebook knowing what I do.

larryk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »
Facebook may be a good place to have a Forum, but you need to have an account. I don't need or want Facebook knowing what I do.

I agree 100%
'53 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
'63 Chevy Impala (Wife's car)
'73 Datsun 240Z F Prepared autocross
'76 Datsun 280Z
'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
KFOCI # 16269

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
Both KF Facebook groups state they're public. Once my wife logged onto her Facebook page she could access both groups, and is a member of neither, or the club.

You are correct - the "Kaiser/Frazer Automobile Page" and "Kaiser Frazer Owners Club Mfg Fund" page are public pages. Anyone may join/post.

"KFOCI Official - Kaiser Frazer Owners Club International" is restricted to club members only.
Barbara Mueller

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
I would not bother. Its a great XD but that method is outdated. Ive nevrr looked at my CD

The updated Handbook will be available online as part of the new website.
Barbara Mueller

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
So now I have another question or three, for Chris and for leadership...the questions are interrogative...within the statements...

The forum software for this forum "simplemachines" is free, meaning the cost involved is in the hosting of the forum...the costs associated with having someone outside of the forum host the forum on their servers.

"simplemachines" is considered one of the leading formats for forum creation...#4 on this particular list of both paid and free forum creation software:  https://websitesetup.org/best-forum-software/

My inference would be that the software running this forum will rank somewhere between 3 and 6 for any given ranking of forum creation software, depending on whether they include paid along with free software, and "simplemachines" is freeware.

1.  The software is free, and backups of the database can be made.
2.  There are cheaper hosting options than the one (obviously) currently being used by the club.
3.  Anyone with a broadband connection and the ability to set up a server can host this forum, at minimal cost (broadband and data usage rates apply...but they could do it at a fraction of the cost of your current provider).
4.  pnw_oldmags has effectively said he'd be willing to host the data, but wouldn't be willing to run the forum.  I get it, he'd host the old data, no new posts, but if he'd be willing to host the bandwidth for keeping this forum alive, I'd be glad to take it over from an admin standpoint.  I have extensive experience with XML, stylesheets, html and db maintenance.  If not pnw, perhaps we can find another willing to host on a local server.  I'd be willing to contribute to such a project, as I'm sure a few others who have weighed in would also.
5.  There are several members who have already weighed in showing they have no wish or reason to start a faceplant account, for reasons I fully understand but others may not.
6.  If numbers 1 - 4 (with some consideration or alterations based on possible hosting) are weighed, there is no reason this forum can not continue indefinitely...unless there is some political reason for killing it, and it seems all the world has become politicized of late, which is sad to me, because it doesn't need to be that way...
7.  If I gauge the overall temper of the membership's collective gestalt correctly here...most do not want to lose this forum, believe it is fine the way it is, do not want to migrate to a new format that is unfamiliar, and particularly, do not want to lose the info that is here for the searching...

There are always other paths to attain a goal.  To settle on one to the exclusion of all others, without significant regard for those other options seems to reject a rational path forward.

If we fail to rule ourselves with reason, we shall be ruled by our passions.
51 Kaiser Deluxe