Author Topic: recommended engine oil for '54 Kaiser M  (Read 631 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
recommended engine oil for '54 Kaiser M
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
I have read the many informative comments from the 2010 forum regarding proper engine oil for my car and have concluded that my best choice is a 30w non-detergent oil containing zinc and phosphorous, probably Valvoline or Quaker State.  Anyone have any updated info on recommended engine oil.  My Kaiser has 69,000 miles, engine never rebuilt to my knowledge, and runs very strong and quiet.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: recommended engine oil for '54 Kaiser M
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »
Go with this one:  https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil in either 30w or 10w30.

As I recall from a previous discussion, I believe the Quaker State version has either reduced or eliminated the zinc from their formulation.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: recommended engine oil for '54 Kaiser M
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:21:22 PM »
None of the regular mainstream motor oils are suitab le for engines 1968 or older.  The formulations changed at least 2 times in the previous 10 years to accoomadate the current metal alloy and temperature requirements.

Please refer to the K-F ERVICE CLINIC article "Oil's Well" in the Fall 2020 issue of the KFOCI QUARTERLY for more information.  The publication goes out to all members of the Kaiser-Frazer Owners Club International (KFOCI) who are eligible to recieve publications (the Associate Member category does not recieve publications).

Enough Said.