Author Topic: Who has 47-50 engine paint?  (Read 949 times)

Kuretake

• View Profile
    • Email
Who has 47-50 engine paint?
« on: April 02, 2021, 12:07:26 PM »
I did a full rebuild and I cant get the 49 seafoam color anywhere. I ordered engine enamel from Bill hirsh but the paint is for 51 and up way to dark. Anyone know what the color is called and who would have an enamel? I'm not gonna settle for the wrong color on it.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who has 47-50 engine paint?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »
Do you have an accurate paint chip?

Take it to a good automotive jobber and they should be able to match it.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »
These guys mixed all my paints. Did  a great job. You might get lucky & the recipe will be in their archives, otherwise sending in a sample as mentioned above. Neat vid about them further down the page. https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
This company looks interesting . Can some one pass along their experience with them and some cost ?

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »
This company looks interesting . Can some one pass along their experience with them and some cost ?
I ordered a few times & won't search/tally my total costs but do remember they were the only supplier I found with the vintage correct fine grained metallic additive. Anything I was getting mixed locally used modern metallic which is larger, and brighter, even when the tint is matched, especially in sunshine. There's 2 colors on my Aero dash and they had that dash info that even the club was unaware of, AND knew there were TWO different grain sizes of metallic on the dash, very subtle & satiny. You can get your paint mixed as enamel, acrylic enamel, urethane, base/clear, and lacquer. The list of paints above go from cheaper to higher in that order. Given the time & expense of a professional repaint from bare metal, I went with modern base/clear for durability. They carry PPG paints and have a "Restoration Shop" house brand that's like PPG but a bit cheaper, and my painter said it laid down just as nice as PPG. I see on my cost list I paid $85 for an additional quart of blue urethane base (4 qt cans are more expensive than a full gallon can)  and $50 for a quart of engine enamel. Jimmy "Chips" Wells (guy in the video) was semi retired last time I called in but the other guys there are good too.
EDIT: Prices above included freight.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:49:55 AM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 08:04:44 PM »
Thanks for the info .