Author Topic: Kaiser Frazer Literature  (Read 3740 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser Frazer Literature
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
I recently acquired an interesting 1952 hard bound book offered to prospective dealers and it illustrates all of the K-F products offered at that time.  Included were all of the early and late 1952 products: Henry J Corsair, Henry J Corsair Dlx, Henry J Vagabond, Kaiser Virginian, Kaiser Manhattan and Frazer hard top with nylon or specially painted top.  No mention of Frazer convertibles.  They must have had a supply of those Frazer's left over.  This is the only brochure that I have seen where two model years of cars are offered but there is also a magazine ad that offers the '50 Kaiser Traveler as well as the '51 Frazer Vagabond.  Oh, how they confuse our Kaiser-Frazer history!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Frazer Literature
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
That piece sounds very interesting.  How many pages is it?  Is it Sepia or Green or Colored??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
It is a notebook type brochure that is made to open up and the pages can stand up and be turned.  It is titled "Kaiser-Frazer is a young...Tomorrow Minded Company" and it has twenty numbered colored pages.  No date or form number.  I will bring it to San Diego for display.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »
This was a presentation piece that Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation reps took in to meetings with those interested in becoming a Kaiser-Frazer dealer.  It presented the different models currently (and recently offered) as well as information on profit margins, the accelerating discount program, etc.

artgriffin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
In case you are interested, somebody has made available on the Internet, copies of brochures on many, many makes and models of automobiles.  Kaiser, Frazer, Willys, Henry, etc. are among those included.  Here is the website:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch1.html

Hope you find something you like.

Art Griffin

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
This was a presentation piece that Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation reps took in to meetings with those interested in becoming a Kaiser-Frazer dealer.  It presented the different models currently (and recently offered) as well as information on profit margins, the accelerating discount program, etc.

Thanks Jack,  it is fun to run into those odd dealer aid pieces.  K-F also did a similar book on fleet business illustrating most of the 1951 line including the Frazer Manhattan again but no mention of other Frazers
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
K-F did some strange things with the 1951 Frazer.  While it built less than 3,000 1951 Frazer Vagabonds (which was less than 1 car per stateside dealer) it sent out mailers to funeral homes all over America promotingthe model as an excellent car for the various duties the funeral business would be expected to perform (flower car, carry a casket, carry chairs, etc to gravesites, and oh, yes, the family on outings).

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
I think the Frazer advertising was likely misplaced desperation to move what were in effect 1949 Kaiser Traveler bodies once and for all. Since the 50s were largely if not all reserialized 49 bodies, and Last Onslaught has that poignant picture of the utility bodies, they probably thought that only massive advertising overkill would get any out the door at all, even if tarted up as a Frazer. In a horse laugh hindsight, if they could have anticipated that once the new Kaisers were out, the Frazers WERE different and both were attracting a different type of buyer, and so they could have built--and likely sold--a lot more Frazers than they did. There were indications from anticipatory orders that the public liked the new (and last) Frazer, a lot. I certainly do. I saw exactly three Frazers before 1959, an old body and a 51 Vagabond in town, and a 51 sedan on the highway in eastern Maine...the old one didn't impress a young child, but the 51s got my attention but GOOD from the novel front end look to the unique taillights. Another hindsight, which is always 20-20, if the new Kaiser had come out in the 50 model year AND if they had differentiated the Frazer looks earlier, then, they could have moved those old bodies a lot faster. As has been pointed out, (and done, I think by Fid's dad) if the Mercury-winged headlight rims had been used on the Frazer instead of the Kaiser, it would have been a natural and very good look with the 51 fenders. (what were they thinking?) Besides, for all Joe Frazer's marketing expertise, they made a fatal blunder. The way to sell cars for MORE money is to have something exclusive to certain upper lines at first, then allow them to be sold a bit later on the lower cost lines, while adding new exclusive stuff again at the top. Note, they have to LOOK different and exclusive for this to work--and Kaisers and Frazers just DIDN'T look all that different. On the first few years, Frazers even had the cheap little taillights of the Kaiser, and there was nothing that really proclaimed THIS is DEFINITELY a FRAZER if the name plate fell off. People, if they are spending more money, like to show off.  That way, a few people (especially celebrities and Rich and Famous wannabees) buy dear to have the exclusivity and cachet, and the larger group of CACOs buy in later for the reflected glory, when the styling cues, ornaments and options trickle down in watered down form. Geez, GM printed money doing that with Cadillac and Oldsmobile, and even Cadillac did that internally with the first Eldorado for years, with some styling cues one year ahead of the Beef Wellington and Dutchess potatoes everyday Cadillacs.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »
The front grillework of the 1951 Frazer was in fact originally designed for use in the new Frazer that was based on the 1951 Kaiser platform.  This project was scrapped in May 1949.  Frazer sales fell through the floor and never came back up; in fact it was in decline during the 1948 model year and continued to slide. 

A significant reason why the 1951 Frazer was so popular was that Kaiser-Frazer priced the car to get rid of them.  The company lost $400.00 on each sedan and just under $400.00 on each Vagabond.  This is based on the company's own financial reports.  Had the company priced the 1951 Frazer based on at least break even, you could have purchased a new Cadillac Series 61 with H/D and V-8 if the Cadillac dealer was in a good mood. 

In reality, the upper medium segment of the marketplace was falling apart in the years after World War II.  About the time the Frazer went out of production, Hudson dropped their more expensive models, Packard brought back a lower-end product which climaxed with the Clipper in the mid 1950's, Nash sales steadily shifted to the Rambler rather than the full-size cars, and Studebaker sales crashed after 1954.  As for the Big 3, DeSoto's best sales year was 1957...4 model years later it was gone.  The president of Ford Motor Company told the ad agency executive in charge of the Edsel account that the company was discontinuing the car during the announcement party for the 1958 model year products.  And at GM, as late as 1960, there was discussion as to wether or not Buick was carrying its weight and should be dropped.   The high end lines were rolling out lower level vehicles (like the Chrysler Newport) and the medium price cars were offering equipment and options that previously were reserved for the higher priced and upper medium market segment. 

If you want a better perspective on the 1951 Frazer, check out BUILT TO BETTER THE BEST, that came out in 2005.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »
In case you are interested, somebody has made available on the Internet, copies of brochures on many, many makes and models of automobiles.  Kaiser, Frazer, Willys, Henry, etc. are among those included.  Here is the website:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch1.html

Hope you find something you like.

Art Griffin

Thanks Art, that is an interesting site.  Unfortunately he does not have a very advanced collection and most of the items illustrated are the more common folders but there is plenty to look at.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »
Actually, that is not quite true. In that site if you go to the Studebaker section, there is a very rare German ad with a VERY VERY rare production model, the 57 Champion Regal (57G-W6)
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/stude/57studebaker/bilder/8.jpg
The brochure is the only source ANYWHERE to date in my searches which explains EXACTLY what a W6 is--even the Studebaker National Museum archivist couldn't find any documentation on it. There are side trim pieces which are only found on this model, and it took me over two years searching worldwide before I found a pair. Besides this ad, I have only found two other ads which depict this model, and both are quite wrong being translations of other (i.e., American) brochures, with the chrome pieces added by the artist to a different lower level model picture with definitely the wrong interiors. This model is the top picture, and that particular colour 2 x 2 tone scheme roof/pillars/hood-upper body-trunk/lower body was never factory authorized by Studebaker, except apparently on this one model. Produced in Canada, a few were sold IN Canada, and the rest were exported. I have a W4 Deluxe Canadian built Studebaker which has this exact colour scheme Glendale Green/Turquoise/Glendale Green/Turquoise, and I am going to turn it into a W6 Regal clone. (I think someone had a friend at the factory to get painted that way, as it wasn't authorized for W4 cars)  What a W6 was, was the interior, options, and trim of the long wheelbase top of the line President Classic, but in a short wheelbase sedan with a 6 cylinder instead of the largest V8. It was for markets where V8s were punitively taxed out of existence ie, Belgium, Britain, France and Germany. In France, the tax was so high it effectively bankrupted some French car companies because they could not sell any V8 cars in France, and had to export every single car made.

So, this W6 would have the fanciest President interior, automatic, radios, electric windows, electric seats, you name it and every single accessory option, likely, all with a flathead 6
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard