Author Topic: hydramatic shifts too fast  (Read 7487 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
hydramatic shifts too fast
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
My transmission shifts through the gears too quick for me. Is it possible to make some adjustment to slow down the shift points?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: hydramatic shifts too fast
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
Yes. There is a long rod that runs from the accelerator linkage down to an arm that's attached to the side of the transmission. There are two nuts that hold the rod in place where it attaches to the arm. Loosen the top one and run it up the shaft about 3 or 4 turns. Then, push the arm up so that it touches the top nut, then turn the lower one up so that it's snug against the arm.

What you just did was to increase throttle pressure which should lengthen your shift points. It might take a few tries to get it right, but this should help.

There is also an internal band adjustment that's possible but it takes a special tool...and someone with experience...do make that adjustment.

If you notice no improvement in your shift points after making the rod adjustment, then the transmission needs further attention.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
Depending on year, you should be shifting from first to second at around 15 mph and second to third at around 25 mph.  This is based on Pontiac's shift curve for the straight 8 (110 or so bhp and the same version of H-D as in a Kaiser of the same model year).  Dad talked about the cars coming from the factory and shifting as low as 10 and 20 mph due to production line calibration issues so shifting too fast was not just a Kaiser problem but did not happen that often.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
Just so I understand, by moving the adjustment nuts, I am effectively shortening the Rod to increase pressure?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
That is correct.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
I did it to mine and it has made a big difference.  The only thing I notice is a slightly hard downshift decelerating, but then I'm comparing it to modern cars--this is the normal for a 50's era hydramatic I believe.

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
Thanks for that advice.  I adjusted mine this afternoon and took her for a ride, what a difference!  2nd and 3rd gear hang on a little longer and allow me to get moving without that fast shifting and lugging in top gear.  It's an even greater pleasure to drive now and it feels much more lively.  This Forum is a great place to learn things.  Thanks again for sharing that tip. 
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »
Congrats on a successful endeavor!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
I now find that the transmission does not up-shift when I aggressively drive it pedal to the metal accelerating. I ease out of the gas and it up-shifts. Is this normal?

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
It will upshift--eventually.  If you're flooring it (I don't do it too often!) I think it will be about 50 mph before it shifts from 3rd to 4th if I remember right.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »
It sounds like you have to do a bit of the opposite adjustment for your Hydramatic, as it 'shifts too slow'
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard