Author Topic: 54 Manhattan  (Read 1406 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan
« on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:23 AM »
Hi All : I am yet another newbie...In the past I have collected Nashes and Studebakers ,but am now considering buying a 54 Kaiser Manhattan that I have found . I will keep the location a secret because it is a good deal  :). What I would like to know is how I tell if is a "early" or " late" model and were the super charges standred or an option ?

Thanks.......Fred

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »
For the 54-55 Manhattans, the supercharger was standard equipment. Early and Late only applies to the Specials (no supercharger). The Early Specials were left-over 53 cars, and had the one piece rear window, 53 interiors, and had the front and rear ends grafted on by putting in new trim holes etc. The Late Specials had the three piece rear window etc, and were the 'real' 54 cars. Some Manhattans have been robbed of the supercharger over the years; conversely, some Specials might had had it added, and the 'script' updated.

As soon as you have the info/car deal sealed and can tell us all about it, look at the Registry and see if this car is already there. If not, please send an email there and update it with all the serial# and cowl plate information. Then come back and tell us all about your new baby!

cheers, Jim Bartley
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard