Author Topic: Question about this old grille we found in my friend's garage....  (Read 3041 times)

StickyRikky

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello there everybody, and thank you for taking time to read my post. I had a question that I was hoping one of you may be able to help with. 

My friend has a car grille in his garage that we originally thought came from a Cadillac.  However, after some looking around on the web, we were unable to locate any Cadillac grilles that looked like this one.  After inspecting the grille, we noticed some black printing on the inside crossbeam of the grille.  It looked to be a stamp from the manufacturer or perhaps the metal supplier.  It was hard to read, but we finally decided it read "Kaiser" followed by some other words that we couldn't make out.  There were no serial numbers or any brand name actually etched into the metal. 

I hope none of you take offense to our ignorance, but we are a couple of fairly young guys, and had both never heard of an automobile called a Kaiser... but we did a search online, thinking we would find a metal supplier named Kaiser... and then we discovered the automaker Kaiser.  I was wondering if I provided a picture if anybody would be able to help us figure out if this grille originally came from a Kaiser automobile.  I searched hundreds of Kaiser photos, but still don't see any similar grilles... so I'm a bit doubtful, but haven't ruled it out.  We've spent hours trying to figure this one out... and this seems to be the best place to come for Kaiser information.  If I had a photo handy, I'd post it up now... but I forgot to take one.  I'll have to go back over there tonight and snap a few shots.  I know without a visual reference it's pretty impossible for anyone to give me a sure answer; but thought that I could possibly gain some insight on what markings to look for that were common to Kaiser grilles.  Thanks in advance guys. 

Cheers!

Kevin

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about this old grille we found in my friend's garage....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:58:28 AM »
Post ipictures and it should be easy to tell.  You can also check the KFOCI website or google "kaiser-frazer pictures" and look at car photos already posted.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
Regarding the original post by StickyRikky, and how to ID the grill, there are a number of Kaiser - Frazer pictures on this site:

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Kaiser/

Some of them are actually correct too.  Check it out and see if you recognize the one you have.
Let us know what it is.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:54:26 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »
I think the grille that you have is out of a 49-50 Frazer. Look on line to see if you can find a picture of a 49-50 Frazer.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:03 AM »
I would be interested in knowing where on the 1949-1950 Frazer grille, the word "Kaiser" appears (the original post says the item had the word KAISER on it).  It could be a 1949-50 KAISER grille if it was factory.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »
Jack: From the description of the marking on the grille it does not appear to me that it was placed there at the factory. I assumed that it may have been placed there by a wrecking yard operator that identified the grille as being Kaiser-Frazer. It will be interesting to see what the grill is for.

StickyRikky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
Hey everybody, thank you so much for the replies... And I would like to apologize for taking so long to post these pictures. 

I checked through all of those Kaiser pictures in the link up there, but still didn't see it.  Also, I don't think it could have been stamped by a wrecking yard as an identification because it looks to have been stamped before it was welded together.  I asked my friend to take clear pictures with a good camera and in decent lighting, and email them to me... but apparently he emailed blurry ones taken with his cell phone camera anyways.  Okay, so without further ado... here are the pics...

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »
This grill reminds me of the ones used on the small panel delivery trucks.  I saw a similar one in the wrecking yard a few months back on an old U.S. Mail  truck made by Kaiser I think in 1967-1968.  Hope this might help to jog memories. 
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
I agree, it is not from a Kaiser passenger car but it could be a Jeep.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:22:20 AM »
Good Monday morning everyone! - The pictures certainly are blurry (?) , but to me, that grille looks like the aftermarket units that were available for Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. back in the "superfly" era. We had a used car lot back then and I can't begin to tell you how many of those things went to the scrap yard when we took them off the trade-ins!

Gary, aka: darrin145

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
That's exactly what the grille is...an aftermarket dress up unit. Kaiser Aluminum made alot of these...I have a catalog from the 1980s that lists one that's almost identical for the front wheel drive Cadillacs.

StickyRikky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:39:08 AM »
You guys are AWESOME!  Mystery solved.  Thanks a lot... appreciate the help.  Take care!