Author Topic: Hood springs  (Read 7684 times)

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
Hood springs
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:20:07 AM »
Does anyone have a set I could buy? The ones on the car we just bought are shot and we need them by Wednesday of next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hood springs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »
1951 - 55 Kaiser hood springs are a tall order.  If you go to a KFOC meet, over half the 51 - 55 cars will have a wooden prop holding the hood  up.  Maybe it's a project the club could or should take on as I believe reproducing springs is actually not that difficult.  Since the only 1951 Kaiser I ever had a close relationship (now in the possession of Weas) has a working hood, I don't know if it is the springs or somthing else that causes the hood to not stay up.  If it is the springs that causes this, I think it would definitely be a worthwhile project.  Weas, you have one of the few left that does not have this problem.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
I wish I had the Kaiser right here to take a look at, but I wonder if the springs are similar enough to the old F-100 hood springs that you could swap them in? That could be dangerous too. Having a professional rebuild them would be ideal.

After looking up spiral-torsion springs, I agree with Fid. Seems they would be easy to get produced in quantity, provided they are actually the culprit.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:14:51 PM by Weaz »
KFOCI #9798

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
F-100 was my first thought. We were working on one not too long ago. I don't remember if the current ford we have here has the springs on it or not. I will have to check into that. Perhaps I can find a way to make them work. If so I will pass on the info.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »
Kaiser Bill has a place on his web site in CA that rebuild them but I don't know anything about the price or outcomes. 
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 08:50:14 AM »
I saw that. But we are taking the car to Carlisle to set at our booth next Wednesday. We are going to build it as a shop car. I ordered a set of F-100 springs. I figured it was worth a shot.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Take a lot of pictures of replacing the springs and make a little writeup here. If those F-100 springs work, and you show everyone how it's done, you'll be a hero.
KFOCI #9798

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 05:43:09 AM »
We should know today. I'm bringing the car in to try and get it running and driving. Our local Napa had all the ignition and brake parts in stock! I'm stoked! ;D

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
Well we got it to start on starting fluid. Tomorrow we will fill the temp tank and see if she will purr. We did change it over to 12 volt today. We replaced the coil, solenoid, voltage regulator, points, condenser, cap, rotor, plugs, battery and wires. Is the little button to the left of the column a push button starter? We had to jump the solenoid today. I compared the broken hood spring to the picture of the truck spring. They look identical. Hopefully the new ones will be in tomorrow.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
Yes, the push button to the left of the steering wheel is the starter.  The button should work fine after the 12 volt conversion. The ignition switch has three positions - off (lever toward passenger side), on (center) and 'Valet' (can be turned on without the key when you turn the lever at the bottom toward the steering wheel and remove the key)
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Fid, we thought the ignition was wired wrong yesterday :-X I guess not haha.

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:54 AM »

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »
More pics.
More pics.
KFOCI #9798

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:02:32 AM »
Soon, Soon! ;D We are leaving at 4:00 for Carlisle today. I installed the hood springs on the hinges this morning and I'm pretty confident they will work! We will be putting the hood on around 9:00. We had the car running under its on power last night for the first time in 30 odd years. Always a very cool feeling! 8)

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 05:57:20 AM »
Well good and bad news. First the good, the ford hinge spring fit on the passenger side with no problem. Unfortunatly I ran out of time and could not replace the driver side too. The hood doesn't stay up on its own yet, it wants to but I believe the drivers side is too weak. The bad news, the clutch does not want to function no matter what we do. I'm not 100% sure if the clutch disk is frozen fast to the flywheel or if the the throwout is not making enough contact.  Oh well, it all needs to come apart soon enough.