Author Topic: Kaiser Virginian Interest  (Read 1507 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser Virginian Interest
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »
I have followed a rough 49 Virginian in Minnesota that I am pretty sure most KF guys know about. It is offered for sale typically in the $650 to $800 range by what I would describe as an eccentric but pleasant corresponder.  I requested and received photos of thr car along with an incomplete 54 2 door model.

I like both cars, but am curious why this Virginian is still there.

I collect primarily Buicks with an interest in immediate post war cars such as Packard, Nash and KF.  For the few numbers that the Virginian and the convertible KF cars were made, I would think virtually any Virginian would be located and coveted by the KF crowd. Sure, it's not a convertible, but it represents a distinct model for a company that based it's focus on mass production of similar models (save Carleton Spencers attempt to differentiate)

I saw a small KF auction last summer in South Dakota had a couple of Virginians and other KF cars and am not sure how that turned out or where those Virginians went.

I can't afford a convertible, and see very few of the Frazer cars for 1949, which are my favorite 1st gen cars, so the Virginian should get me the most bang for my buck. Was just curious what the collector perception of these cars was.

No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Kaiser Virginian Interest
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
The Kaiser Virginian was KF's attempt at a hardtop car. While not a true hardtop...the center pillar and window frames remain in place when the windows are rolled down, they are a very unique car. The downside is that many parts are unique to a Virginian and if the car you're looking at is incomplete, finding spares can be difficult.
Some of the parts unique to a Virginia include:
- Rear glass and gasket (3 piece unit)
- Upper door frames
- Window mechanisms (if pneumatic windows are fitted)
- Fender skirts
- Top material
- Center glass and frames (between doors)
- Interior lighting (bottom rear of front seat back)
- Some trim
I'm sure there's more!
If the car is reasonably complete and isn't too rusty, the asking price would make it worth buying, if only to serve as a parts car for a better example.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Virginian Interest
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
I'm not sure about values, but I would certainly thank that any Virginian (I'm talking about the 49-50, not the later '52 which was only a reserialed '51) would be well worth preserving--and they are beautiful cars with the glass B-pillar and fabric top.