Author Topic: Daily KF Trivia  (Read 5155 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Daily KF Trivia
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
I thought I'd start a new thread for the benefit of those who'd like to know a bit more about Kaiser, Frazer and Willys cars and might not have access to piles of musty old factory paperwork. Since I am one of those with piles of old paper, I thought I'd share a few tid bits.

I'll start with a Henry J factoid.

Effective with serial numbers 513-002494 and 514-007463, the factory switched from the tubular steering column support bracket to a die cast version. This is documented in Advance Information Bulletin number 61, dates October 6, 1950.

Also, if you have a car with serial number 514-001001 to 514-001229, you'll need to relocate the hand brake handle to avoid interference when making the switch.

More tomorrow!

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Daily KF Trivia
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Joe,
This is a great idea.
Thanks to you.
How about a followup with a Trivia Quiz Question?
Enter one, with an answer to follow in a few days.
Not a contest but a way that we can get our old brains working into the recesses of our head.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
GREAT GREAT IDEA..
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
That's very interesting. I never heard or saw that bulletin before but I knew of that change and I mention it on my Henry J website. Now here's something interesting - my dad bought a new Henry J, serial number K5144-002510, in Souix Falls, SD on Oct 30, 1950 (I still have all the paperwork for it) and it had the open steering column as described before the change to the diecast moulding. About 10 years ago, I found an early aloha green Henry J in a salvage yard in New London, MN and it was serial number K5144-002512, just two cars later, and it had the moulding.  The one my dad bought also had a 1947/48 KF Air Conditioner (heater) in it - probably dealer installed as the car was driven from Willow Run, MI to Souix Falls, SD for delivery.
Of course the one in the salvage yard could've been upgraded by a restorer at one time as it did have the factory Henry J type heater, extra bumper gaurds and a homemade continental kit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:23:19 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 05:28:00 AM »
Here's a Trivia question:

TRUE OR FALSE:  The Auto-Lite A-5 Spark plug was the factory recommended spark plug for the 226 flathead 6 from 1946 into the 1954 model year.

Read this carefully before answering.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
Today's KF trivia:

Parts and Accessories Bulletin number 70, dated September 23, 1948 announced the arrival of electric clocks into the Kaiser and Frazer lines. While the announcement mentions both lines, only one part number, 100059, is listed. The suggested list price was $17.75. I'd be willing to bet that you'll pay a bit more an NOS unit today.

The bulletin also mentions that the clocks will also be a part of an accesory group on Kaiser autos.

Oh, and I'm not going to take the bait on the spark plug question! <grin>

If I have time later, I'll post a trivia question too.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
I'm wondering if the operative word is "into". Without looking it up, I would 'think' that the supercharged engines might take a different plug. However, as the 1954 "Early Specials" were sold at the start of 1954 from re-cycled 53 cars, they would fit into the 46 on mold as well. So, with that caveat, I'd say a tentative 'yes'
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
I remember when we started restoring KFs in the early 70s, it seemed that whenever we put a battery in a 1949 - 50 K or 1949 - 51 F, the clock would immediately start ticking. They must've been built well. The 1949 Kaiser was a "Bermuda Tan" so it was a Deluxe. Neat car.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:42:34 AM »
In early calendar 1951, Kaiser-Frazer issued a Service Bulletin stating that Auto-Lite A-5 plugs were the only brand/type of plugs used in production 226 engines since production started.  The bulletin also stated that the company was switching over to A-7 types for a hotter spark and better combustion.  However, if a Kaiser or Frazer owner had a problem with vapor locking, overheating or other related problems and the car had A-7 plugs in them, the dealer should go back down to the lower heat range A-5.  Also, the bulletin states that if the engine had at least 5,000 miles on it and needed a plug change, dealers should go back to the A-5 plugs.

No further Service Bulletins were issued on the subject of spark plugs.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »
Today's KF trivia brings us back to the HJ...

On December 21, 1951, Parts and Accessories Bulletin number 2-B announced that a lower priced recirculating heater, part number 100302 would be available. This one didn't use air ducts from outside, instead it just recirculated interior air. The bulletin also mentioned that part number 100238, the heater previously used, would no longer be available.

The new heater would set you back $33.50 from the dealer.

And...true or false...?

Both Monroe and Gabriel were shock absorber suppliers to Kaiser - Frazer from 1947 thru 1950.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
I will stay out of answering questions unless I post a question nobody seems able to answer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
Sorry folks, I was away from the computer for a few days. Anyway, according to Advance Information Bulletin dated November 26, 1948, both suppliers would be making their shocks available to KF. This included the 1949 models, whichs, as we know some turned into 1950's  due to over production.

Today's trivia:

Parts and Accessories Bulletin number 60, dated December 9, 1947 announced the arrival of Windsheild Sealzit, a liquid sealer designed to stop water leaks at window gaskets...something that plagued KF for years.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
I'm curious.  Did it work?  I'll bet it was discontinued when the utility models came out.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:13 AM »
Sealzit did offer some added protection from water leakage, but was only good on fixed glass such as the windshield or the back window.  It was not designed to work on the weather seals for doors, trunks and the rear deck of a Traveler.

hollenway

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »
http://www.circlekf.com/kfcars/accessory/kfpabulletin08a_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture !!!!

My Uncle gave a bottle of this away with every car he sold..... He also included a can of polish and whitewall cleaner if the car was so equipped with WSW.   If memory serves me right these car care chemicals were very inexpensive at the time they were new...... so it was a little added customer service item at the dealership.    And let's face it the darn windows always leaked......... 

If a car was returned to the shop for a window leak, we  used a glass installing tool to force Permatex between the rubber seal and the glass and body.   It really worked a lot better than the Sealzit........ It stayed flexible and filled the gaps well.   It was rare we ever had to pull out a window to cure a leak.