Author Topic: Carter wgd999s carb  (Read 1673 times)

wegilman

• View Profile
    • Email
Carter wgd999s carb
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »
Hi, I have a '53 Kaiser and after going down the road about 1/4 mile, the car bogs down and will only run giving it very little throttle. When I stop the car and let it idle, if I turn the throttle, it squirts gas out a small hole in the right side, between the float chamber and air horn opening. The hole is about 1/8" diameter and on an angle. I took the carb apart, cleaned passages with carb cleaner, and it still is doing the same thing. Is it possible that hole should have a plug like so many others on the carburetor? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Carter wgd999s carb
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
I'm guessing that you're saying that the gas is coming from a hole on the outside of the carburetor? If so, then yes, that's a problem and the reason for the poor performance.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
Is  this the hole just under the dust cover that says "CARbureTER" on top or the one that's an inch or so lower and a bit to the right? They are both open on mine. On the other side there are a couple in about the same place but they are plugged.

wegilman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, fellows. I appreciate it.

I took carb apart, cleaned every passageway, took off fuel pump and found the bottom chamber full of black crud. I cleaned the chamber and screen. I drained gas tank and that gas was clean. I blew the gas line out with air and some black crud came out of it. Put it all back together and everything works fine now.

By the way, the car is for sale on Ebay if you or anyone you know is interested. Thanks.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »
I see your car on ebay, it's the Carolina, right?  I'm tempted to bid on it (my wife wouldn't like it if she knew about this temptation!)  Looks pretty solid, though.  Rust through the fornt floorboards is pretty common, unfortunately.