Author Topic: Power Steering Pump  (Read 10321 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Power Steering Pump
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:24 PM »
My power steering pump is leaking severely from the reservoire somewhere.  It leaked constantly into my generator, and now I have to have that rebuilt.  But I don't want it ruining another generator, so I need to fix the power steering pump and I don't really know where to begin.  Are parts available?  Is it easy to fix this sort of thing by one's self?  If I take it to someone, who? a transmission shop?  Never really dealt with these before.  By the way, it's a 53 Dragon.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Power Steering Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
There is a 16 page power steering shop manual... Do you have that manual??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
Yes, I do.  It shows how to rebuild the pump.  Who would have parts for it?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
The power steering pump and slave cylinder were made by Monroe. I've been told that AMC...specifically the Rambler...used a similar unit. That might be a good place to start looking for replacement parts like seals, etc.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
Check with club member Dale Hammon in Beloit WI on the power steering pump connection to AMC.  When I was living in Wisconsin, sometimes we would go to junk yards off the regular salvage radar looking for useable parts off K-F or Willys cars that could not be restoreed, and he would pick up the occasional late 1950's Rambler power steering units.  He said they were the same as the Kaiser.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Thanks, I'll check with him.  I looked through Hemmings and didn't find much in there, but I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
I called around and it looks like most places want around $200 to rebuild the pump and $400 to rebuild the valve/cylinder.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
Logan,
The LARES Corporation will rebuild your power steering unit. Contact 1-888-280-6386 or www.larescorp.com They guarantee their work and are a bit spendy but I've had good experience with them. JSP

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
Thanks.  I talked to LARES and they sound good, so I'm glad to have an endorsement for them.  At first I was planning on sending both the pump and the slave cylinder, but as far as I can tell, it's only the pump leaking (profusely).  The guys at LARES did say that it was better to have both rebuilt at the same time, but said they could do whatever I wanted.  The pump would cost a little under $200, but the cylinder/valve would cost over $400.  Is there any reason I should have the cylinder rebuilt too if only the pump is bad?  BTW, my hoses are very bad--when I took them off, I noticed several bulges in them, and LARES doesn't have/rebuild hoses.  Anyone know where I could get new hoses?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:32 AM »
About the hoses...look for a shop near you that builds hoses for snow or farm plow pumps...they should be able to fabricate new ones by using yours as patterns. There's a NAPA store near me that does just that. It's worth a shot!

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »
I'll give it a try.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
Lucas Power stearing stop leak worked good on another old car the other Day. I have been lucky with My Dragon with no leak yet...    http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=28&catid=2&loc=show    Best, G.B. LM # 4307
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
I got the rebuilt pump back from Lares, installed it and......leak leak, knock knock.  It's still leaking from the the seal around the pulley as well as out of the top, which I think is the fault of the loose fitting lid, and in addition, when I accelerate it makes a knocking sound, similar in sound to a rod knock.  And if that's not all bad enough, the steering is really stiff when the engine is at low rpms, which was never the case before.  Needless to say I will call Lares and they are going to have to look at it again, but if anyone has experience with Kaise power steering and has had similar problems I would like to hear it.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Hey Logan, could you post some pictures of your PS pump and hoses on the engine? I have a 53 Dragon with power steering and the pump vibrates a bit while idling. I am wondering if I am missing a bracket possibly but don't know for sure without comparing to another.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »
There's just one bracket with two bolts.  Here are some pictures--pretty new pump, too bad it doesn't work right!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:07:11 PM by Logan »