Author Topic: Power Steering Pump  (Read 10324 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Power Steering Pump
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 09:14:49 PM »
Guess I am not missing anything. I do experience harder than I would think steering at low rpm parking type manuvers, but I think the hoses may have something to do with it. One of them has multi pieces that neck down to real small at the control valve, Are your hoses one size top to bottom?

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
Thank you Logan for posting pictures of your PS installation. We have a big problem in that we lack available images of mechanical details of our cars.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
Logan,
LARES guarantees their work I would contact them regarding the problems you are experiencing. John

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
Stroker70, one of my hoses is one piece and the other is two pieces, with a very small neck at the control valve.  I had new hoses made off patterns of the old ones, which I am almost certain are original, comparing hose and fitting styles with pictures in my power steering manual, so it sounds like your hoses are correct.  As far as the hard steering goes, I looked in the manual and it suggests that a too-tight nut on the pitman arm may cause hard steering, and I did take that off because I had originally planned to have the slave cylinder rebuilt at the same time, but decided it didn't need it.  I am going to re-check that within the next few days, but I will definitely call Lares, because the pump is leaking and they need to fix that at the very least.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
I sent it back to Lares and they fixed the leak and sent it back to me.  Also, I realized that I had overtightened the nut that links the power cylinder and the pitman arm, so I took it back off and retorqued it and the steering works great now.  The only problem is that there is still a clacking sound when accelerating.  I have told Lares about this, and they seemed to think it was air in the system, but I have bled it and driven around with it for a few weeks now and it's still present.  I don't remember it doing that before they rebuilt it.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 10:46:25 AM »
Logan, What type of fluid are you using in your PS system? Also wondering if my hoses are a bit too short as they hit the oil filler tube when turning left. Have you watched what your hoses do when turning hard left and right? Thanks for the tip on the pitman arm nut, I will give it a try.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
I'm using dexron-mercon atf.  Is that the correct fluid?  I think my hoses hit on each side, but that doesn't interfere with the turning radius.  In other words, they hit at the same time the steering mechanism has reached its end.  I can go out and check or even take pictures if that will help.  When I took it apart I noted positions and took pictures, and had to fiddle with it a little to get the hoses not to interfere, because you can position them at a number of different angles depending upon where how far you rotate the fittings that go between hose and cylinder.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
A picture would be awesome

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »
I took a picture of the hoses' position relative to other items in the engine compartment with the steering wheel: straight ahead, full left, and full right.

Straight Ahead:

Full Left:

Full Right:

Notice that the rear hose never touches anythign else in the engine compartment.  When the wheels are turned full left, the front hose touches the oil pan, but only slightly, no pinching, etc.  When the wheels are turned full right, the front hose slightly touches the frame member, but again, there is no pinching.  It's important to get the brass fitting between the hose and cylinder in the correct position for the front hose.  Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions.