Author Topic: website  (Read 7251 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: website
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:01 PM »
If this Custom is the one Fred Walker had many, many years ago, then it is one of the three 1948 Customs I have seen. This one, the one we had and there is a fellow in CA that has one and did an article about driving it across the country in a fairly recent issue of the KFOC Quarterly - in 2005 or 2006 I believe.  There was a nice black 1947 Custom that used to show up to all the HOA meets in KS and MO in the 70s. I don't recall the owner's name. We also found a white 1947 Custom in a junkyard in Raymond, NE many years ago.  When I was living in Fargo in the mid 80s there was a large salvage yard just east of Fargo in Glyndon, MN and there was a dark blue 1947 Custom in that yard - pretty well shot.  There is also a beautiful, powder blue 1947 Custom that was restored in Wisconsin in the late 90s. I remember seeing it at the National in Oshkosh in 2001 and Auburn in 2004. It was also the July car on the 2002 KFOC Kalendar. The owner always had a tag on it stating it was a 1948 (as did the Kalendar) but it is a 1947 - has the individual letters for the script.  At Oshkosh, Steve Hermesch opened the door and we looked at the tag which read "K101" indicating that it is indeed a 1947.  Awesome car in any case - really fancy blue cloth interior. I believe the Custom had Frazer Manhattan interior if I'm not mistaken.
Kaiser Customs are one of the rarest breed of Kaiser. About 3000 made in 1947 and about 1000 in 1948, which were just left over from 1947 and retagged.  In 1948 the Custom could be purchased with overdrive (the one we had had OD) and leather upholstery - two options that were not available on the 1947s. Very cool cars.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:12 PM »
Yeah, that works great now.  Looking at the photos again reminds me of the question I had.  I notice the engine is gray.  I have seen a picture of a '49 Kaiser with a gray engine, but I was under the impression that all 226's were painted KF green.  Although, now that I say that, I remember that i have seen engine bays of '54's with a red engine (but were all of them red????)  Anybody out there an expert on engine colors who can clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Cory J.

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »
My '48 has overdrive and original green cloth interior (see additional photo on the website). The interior was similar to the Frazer but not quite as plush. As far as the engine color, my  '48 Custom is grey  - my '49 Vagabond  is light green -  I'm not sure which years were red.
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond