Author Topic: Quarterly magazine and club roster  (Read 3987 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
Quarterly magazine and club roster
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »
Just wondering if I will ever get a quarterly magazine or a club roster. I joined the club the end of last year and have not gotten either one. Are these extra charge items? I cant get return phone calls from club officials to ask them directly.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:12:23 PM by stroker70 »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Quarterly magazine and club roster
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »
Hello, you should have received both right around the new year. Unfortunately, there were problems with the logistics and communication between our membership and secretary teams that resulted in a few mailings slipping thru the cracks. I do not know if there are any rosters or quarterlies available, but I will check and advise. You should be getting a monthly bulletin and I believe that we're about ready for another mailing of the quarterly.

Jim Lape
VP - KFOCI
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:45:17 PM by joefrazer »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »
At this writing, the next quarterly and roster is at the printer and should be in the mail within the week. Please let us know if you do not receive yours by the middle of September (they're bulk mailed and some travel by very slow boat...).

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
I would say this is the only dissatisfaction I am having with club involvement.  "Quarterly" implies we will get a nice magazine 4 times a year. I joined in March and have only received the newsletters.  I LOVE the newsletters. I am a member of several old car clubs and the best magazine by far is the Buick Bugle, with lots of content and color photos BUT we pay $50 a year for it and I don't need all that content personally-once a month. So, quarterly is perfect.  I also get the WPC News (WP Chrysler Club) and it's bad. Not much in there, but it costs $35 per year so it's kind of a compromise.  

So, most months the newsletters are purr-fect size and content for me but quarterly I would love to see some of the members cars, stories, etc. 
No old cars owned.

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:08:37 PM »
I am also a new member.  I joined in June and have received one Bulletin so far.  Does a new member not receive an orientation "Welcome package"  giving general info on the club, parts available through the manufacturing fund, how to use the forum, and other such general info?  I am looking forward to participating in the forum, as I will have a lot of questions! My "new" car is a 53 K Manhattan.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
PK5321, welcome to the club, I also have a 53 Manhattan. Great car. You will get a calander as well as other items later. The calander comes out around the end of the year, and it's really cool. It has members photos of their car, and you can send a photo of your car to be considered for the next years calander. The forum here is a great wy to learn about your Kaiser, and meet nice folks.

The bullinten as well as the quarterly are really nice. I am in a few other clubs, and get their magazines. I try not to compare, as a club each goes by size of it's members, how long the marque was in business. Member participation has a lot to due with how good the mags are, such as members submitted articles. The price of the yearly calander fro most clubs is $10- $15 dollars, so I consider that as part of the price for the yearly membership. I am happy with my membership here. I ahve learned alot of history from the Historian, lots of tech stuff from members in this forum, and even met a few members ( great people ). Anyway, Welome to the club, please post a picture sometime, we woud love to see it, maybe even a little story to be added in the bullitin on how you got it, and the car itself.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
Absolutely agree it's a great club and I do look at the "big picture" of the forum, newsletters, common interest etc. Just am anxious to get a Quarterly is all. 
No old cars owned.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
I hope this helps ...

The Bulletin is a monthly publication. It provides information on members & meets, for sale & wanted ads, the Manufacturing Fund Form (odd-numbered months) and a column from the club Historian (my husband, Jack Mueller) whenever space allows.

The Quarterly is actually 2 magazine issues, a club roster and a club calendar. Originally these were sent separately, at 3 month intervals; however, a few years ago they were combined into 2 mailings due to rising postage costs. A magazine & roster are usually sent mid year, a magazine & calendar sent at year end. The 1st 2011 mailing has been delayed; hopefully it will soon be sent.

Traditionally a new member received a welcome letter, membership card, and copies of recent publications (when available). This was suspended in 2009 by the then-new Secretary; however, newly-elected Secretary, Mike Neubecker, plans to reinstate it - with some possible changes. He officially begins his post on 9/1/11.

FYI: 2 important items:

The deadline for Bulletin items (member news, meet info, ads, etc) is the 15th of the month prior to publication. For example: Sept 15 is the deadline for the October issue; Oct 15 is the deadline for the November issue, and so on. All items must be submitted in writing.

Membership applications & renewals are processed monthly, subject to a cut-off date to accomodate the Bulletin deadline for publication & printing of mailing labels. If your application/renewal is not received in time, it will be included in the next month batch.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »
Oops! Forgot to add a very important item about the Quarterly mailings ...

The mailing list is "pulled" in advance of the printing to determine the # of printed copies needed. 

For example, the list of eligible members for the 2011 calendar was created in Sept 2010; the list of eligible members for the 2011 roster was created in July 2011. Therefore, if you were not an ACTIVE member at that time, you were not included on the mailing list.
Barbara Mueller

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
Thank you Barbara, that helps a lot.  If I understand correctly what you have said, since I joined in June 2011, I should be included in the 2011 members roster and receive a copy.  Will I receive the 2 magazines for 2011, or just the second one? I wont receive the 2011 calendar but will receive the 2012 calendar when it is sent.  There is no welcome letter or membership card or any recent publications sent, but that may change in the future.  Thanks for the clarification.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
Thanks Orphanauto for the welcome.  I look forward to learning a lot about my car from everyone.  In about 1979 I bought and read the book "The Last Onslaught on Detroit"  I had never heard of Kaiser-Frazer but had always been interested in cars.  My dad worked for Chrysler for almost 30 years.  Since I read the book I have been fascinated by these cars and their history.  But here in Canada, they are rare, and I think I could count on one hand the number of K-F products I have actually seen.  When I saw a 1953 Manhattan advertised on-line only 40 miles from home I had to go look.  Of course it was love at first sight.  I bought it then and there.  The car belonged to a KFOCI member in Michigan, who gave it to his daughter.  She brought it over to Canada.  It is basically a survivor, mostly original, basically all complete, though repainted.  Originally Jade Green over Stardust Ivory, it is now all a lighter metallic green.  The original upholstery is covered in plastic seat covers (probably since new).  I am still learning its starting, running and stopping characteristics, to figure out what it needs most urgently.  I am very excited to own this car!
1953 Kaiser Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »
Kaiser-Frazer had (relatively speaking) a very active network of dealers across the Dominion, many of them garages or sold cars Like Morris and Austin and acted as agents.  Shortly before the Korean War broke out, K-F and Reo Motors of Canada worked out a deal to assemble cars at the Reo plant (originally built as the Graham-Paige Canadian facility in the 1920's) in the Leaside part of the Greater Toronto area.  From September 1950 to January 1952 Kaiser automobiles (no Henry J's are listed) were built there.

You also may be interested to know that The Hudson Bay Company had several franchised dealerships in 1951 that stocked Henry J automobiles built at Willow Run.

Market penetration was limited due to various Canadian government duties and restrictions reflecting their efforts to build up a home motor vehicle industry and expand trade with the British Commonwealth.

I'm always on the lookout for good photocopies of Kaiser-Frazer Export Corporation, Kaiser-Frazer of Canada LTD or Kaiser-Willys of Canada LTD memos, and other non-advertising paperwork.   The showroom brochure on 1953 Kaisers that was export specific has the black and yellow striped cover and is smaller folder size rather than say 8 x 10.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
@PK5321:  I don't know when the data for the roster was pulled, so you may not be included.

However, if you were listed as a new member in either the July 2011 or August 2011 issue of the Bulletin, it's likely you will  receive the Quarterly & roster.

You should definitely receive the 2nd Quarterly & 2012 calendar later this year.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:07:18 PM by Bulletin Editor »
Barbara Mueller

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
Thank you for the Heads up on the next Quarterly mailing. I hope I'm on the mailing list this time.