Author Topic: Jeep Question  (Read 2223 times)

OLDNMKFR

• View Profile
    • Email
Jeep Question
« on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:05 AM »
I recently acquired a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer to use as a tow vehicle and while it is not strictly KF, I know that many members have Jeeps. The air injection system pump on the 5.9 Mopar engine is frozen completely. Can the whole air system be removed from the car? I have been told that they run much better without it. Any ideas from anyone who has done it? Need it running so I can use it to bring back a 1953 Kaiser from Colorado for a winter project. Any Advice??????
Current Family:
2017 Toyota IM
2003 Toyota Corolla
1997 Buck Skylark Custom
1966 Chrysler 300 Convertible (440 TNT)
Former Family:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1954 Kaiser Darrin #137
1948 Kaiser
1951 Kaiser 4 dr w/overdrive

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jeep Question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
I would follow the hoses to see if one goes to the catalytic converter. Many engines needed
air pumped into the converter so the converter could do a better job of "cleaning" the exhaust
gases. They took filtered air from the air cleaner and pumped to to the converter. My '83 Chrysler
with a 5.9 worked this way.

OLDNMKFR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
Yes! It does have a pipe that follows the Y pipe back to the converter. It also has two pipes going into the right and left exhaust manifold. The pump is frozen solid and can't be turned even with a wrench. Will the engine run without the assembly?
Current Family:
2017 Toyota IM
2003 Toyota Corolla
1997 Buck Skylark Custom
Former Family:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1954 Kaiser Darrin #137
1948 Kaiser

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
This was called the "upstream" and "downstream" air for the converter. Mine malfunctioned
and I took it off. The car ran fine without it.

OLDNMKFR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. How did you plug the 4 air pipes that go into the right and left exhaust manifold. Are there threaded plugs that will fit when they are removed? Until I got an answer, I didn't try taking anything off yet. Is it true that the Grand Wagoneer up to 93 was originally a Howard Darrin design? I know that Jeep belonged to Kaiser until 62-63???? I know that AMC had them for a while and I think that Chrysler didn't get them until the 80's.  :)
Current Family:
2017 Toyota IM
2003 Toyota Corolla
1997 Buck Skylark Custom
Former Family:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1954 Kaiser Darrin #137
1948 Kaiser

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:53 AM »
A unit of Kaiser-Frazer Corporation bought the automotive operations of Willys-Overland in 1953; the Toledo operation was re-incorporated as Willys Motors, Incorporated.  In 1955, Kaiser-Frazer got a name change and revamped, becoming Kaiser Industries.  Willys Motors got a name change to Kaiser-Jeep in 1962.  Kaiser Industries sold certain assets of Kaiser-Jeep to American Motors in 1969.   Chrysler Corporation purchased AMC in the mid 1980's in a lock-stock-and-barrel type transaction (they bought the whole works).

AMC could not afford to develop all the major assemblies needed for their cars and went to other companies for engines, etc.   After the sale to Chrysler Corporation, Chrysler began upgrading mechanical systems and assemblies and started intergrating their engines into various Jeep products.

This reply was actually posted by my husband, club Historian Jack Mueller.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:44:04 PM by Bulletin Editor »
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »
Small point--you passed over the (perhaps better forgotten?) purchase of AMC by Renault, before its purchase by Chrysler. It was notable in my mind only really for introducing diesel engines to Jeep in a small way for a few years.

The same designer was responsible for both the Jeep Wagoneer and the Studebaker Wagonaire, recycling not only the design (if you squint) but the name as well <g>

The other notable point was that when Mercedes bought Chrysler Jeep they got rid of the boxy Cherokee style (ie, the Wagoneer compared to the earlier Grand Wagoneer) and dumped the 4.0 L inline six as well, with its roots back in early Nash days. Sad, because M-B made a HUGE error, one of many (like buying for $36B and selling for $5B) Obviously, the Germans were not good at expense analysis because the Jeep Cherokee and variants was amortized long ago, and they could sell a great number of units each year without advertizing, with a net profit per unit starting at about $8,000 (!!!!) It was a steady money spinner, and even in the last year 2001, they produced over 120,000 which was a low point. Actually, the Cherokee had been cross subsidizing the other unprofitable C-J-D production for years.

A last comment--when your Kaiser or Frazer breaks down, look for an older mechanic as a Chrysler or Jeep dealer. I did one time in Maine, and found one at the local C-J-D dealer who had worked on the 226 in Jeeps, and knew what to do. That, or a Massey-Ferguson tractor dealer! They used Continentals too

KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
On my 5.9L, the air pump output was through a temperature valve that didn't allow airflow to the converter until operating temp was reached. I just plugged the output of this valve. The
air pump had its own fan belt that I removed. No more power drain due to the pump!