Author Topic: 51 Dragon Inquiry  (Read 6365 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Dragon Inquiry
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
In the last couple of bulletins, there has been a 51 Dragon for sale by member Richard Hansen in Corning CA. The price is right ($250) when normally I would not consider a California KF purchase because transport costs will literally add $1200 to any potential purchase, I can consider this car because of the low initial cost. I suspect Mr. Hansen has already sold the car.

Before calling the seller I checked in TLOOD to gain perspective on the importance and uniqueness of the 51 Dragon. To me, it does not sound like much of a difference from buying a deluxe Kaiser. Unlike the 53 Dragon, which was really dressed up and included the name.

Also the ad stated the TR as 6 when Langworth's book states (maybe incorrectly) that no Golden Dragons were produced without an automatic. Has this since been debunked?

Paint is 195 and trim is 2823 which makes it Caribbean Coral and with all the color combinations I don't understand why they called these "Golden" Dragons?  So that tells me KF made the Dragon vinyl in about 15 shades. 

Are the 51 Golden Dragons considered much of a deviation from a KF Deluxe to be considered any more desirable - along the lines of a Virginian, convertible, or the 53 Golden Dragons?
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Dragon Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
KFOCI HANDBOOK version 4.0 has a separate section on the 1951 Dragons, all 4 versions of them.  It is updated for the next version to go out; the "A" on the first Golden Dragon series is replaced with a "O" and all Dragons with the Lacquer paint codes (the paint numbers starting with a "0") appear to have been painted at the Jackson MI plant.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »
Jack
You reference this handbook a lot and I sure would like to get it.  As for this particular Dragon, I would look for antecdotal comments from the regulars on desirability of "honest and true" Dragons and still wonder (before I get the handbook) if all Dragons for 1951 had Hydro matics.  This one is coded as 3 speed with overdrive. 

I think there is no reason to necessarily buy a 51 Dragon for it's uniqueness. It doesn't appear very unique, so I will probably pass.  Sounds like a bit of a shame though as the seller a long time KF owner is just trying to pass it along.
No old cars owned.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
I believe this is the part of the Handbook Jack is referencing to.
http://circlekf.com/kfhandbook/kfoci%20handbook-pdf%20files/KFOCI%20HANDBOOK%20VERSION%204.0/Kaiser%20Cars/1951%20Items%20Include%2052%20Virginian%20Versions/1951%20K5121D%20Kaiser%20Deluxe%20with%20Dragon%20trim.pdf
Let me know if you have issues opening this file as some browser don't handle the blanks in the file name very well.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
Jim

That helps a lot.   This appears to be a legitimate Caribbean Coral Dragon.  With overdrive standard transmission. 
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »
All regular members (not associate members) got the KFOCI HANDBOOK on CD in the fall of 2009 along with their QUARTERLY issue and calendar.  All new members since then should have received a CD as part of their new member packets.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
No. I never got a new member packet or anything.  I am member # 10214 and I started in January 2011.
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
We have new officers now and things are getting better on this kind of thing.  Contact Mike Neubecker, the new Club Secretary and let him know what happened.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
Good to have you on the forum.  Most (not all) 81 year olds don't get on the forum or cmputer. No, my issue is certainly not with your very reasonable price but shipping to Iowa. 

Thanks for confirming it has an automatic. I want to double check that code you stated it ahd now.

I will call soon...
No old cars owned.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:04 PM »
The attached picture of Hansen's 51 Dragon was taken on the 20th of May in 2010 and was not intended to be the center of focus. Hopefully enough of the car is in the picture to give you a good ideal of what it looks like.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »
Do you put something on the inside of the windows to prevent further damage or does the glass just smoke up like that?

Does someone have a photo of a Caribbean Coral (if I understand that is the color) car restored to give a better idea of what this color looks like?  I think it's like a burnt orange but may be wrong...
No old cars owned.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
Here is an old paint chip
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
Don't forget that this color changes over time due to its chemical composition.  We once had 5 1951 Kaisers at a National that were Caribbean Coral and they all looked like they were painted different colors.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 02:39:14 PM »
Roadmaster, thanks for the call last nite. Further information you should be aware of. any car that has had a vinyl or canvas roof and had sat out in the weather will have VERY expensive rot at the rear sail panel(between the door and rear window) top of the windshield and top and bottom of rear window be it 51 or 53 Dragon. also if the rear doors need replacement on the 53 the top rear of the door MUST BE MODIFIED to accommodate the chrome drip molding. Most times its better to buy a good car and switch data tags. note also on my 53 it took 26 yards of material at $98.$ per yard and upholsterers will charge $65.00 per hour to do the job due to the tuck & role on the seats and door panels if you can find one. you can have $20,000 in actual material and parts into one and do everything yourself