Author Topic: Allstate automobiles  (Read 2521 times)

oldfordfan@comcast.net

• View Profile
Allstate automobiles
« on: December 25, 2011, 01:48:51 AM »
I need help to settle a bet. A friend of mine states that the Allstate car was sold by Allstate Insurance Co. I say the Allstate was a slightly restyled Henry J and sold by Sears Roebuck & Co. He claims the name "Allstate" refers to the insurance company and I say that Allstate was simply the name used by Sears for many auto related products.

An authortative answer from someone out there would be appreciated.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Allstate automobiles
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »
Sold by Sears and Robuck .I have a 52 in real bad shape .

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »
Hope you bet a ot of beers because your are correct.
Production volumes were:  1566 Allstates; 23,500 HJ's in 1952
                                          797               16,600           1953

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
Is the KF Handbook authoritive enough??
1952  http://circlekf.com/kflit/HB/a2304.pdf
1953  http://circlekf.com/kflit/HB/a3304.pdf
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

oldfordfan@comcast.net

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
Thanks for the quick and authoritative replies. I was sure I was correct. I've been inspecting and appraising old cars for over 20 years and while I have not examined that many Henry J's (but no Allstates) I pride myself in keeping up to date on old car marques as much as possible. So when this guy made his claim, I had to take him on.

Again, my thanks.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
Don't forget that K-F stylist Alex Tremulis created the 48 state Allstate logo (or so the stories go) as an emblem for the cars & Sears liked it so much that they took it and ran with it to other products.

Also, the revamped Henry J platform was the SECOND effort to build a car for Sears.  Some development work was done in 1948 at Sears request.  I've attached two pictures from that project.  K-F decided not to go forward with the car plan in 1948 but it did open lines of communication with the Sears board of directors (through Theodore Hauser at Sears) that led to Kaiser Fleetwings in PA getting the Hobart plumbing items contract.

Cover from the Sears Roebuck & Company brochure for the 1952 Allstate is attached as well.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
I could be wrong but I dont remember Allstate Ins being around back then.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:51:15 AM »
I have paperwork from the purchase of a 53 Allstate by a Sears employee on 8-7-53 and in a telegram sent to her, it "suggests you contact Allstate Insurance at 808 N Third Street Milwaukee". So, they must have been in the auto insurance business at that point.

Insurance companies like to run at a 96 CR (in other words, for every dollar taken in, 4 cents in left for profit after expenses). Today Allstate is running at about a 110 CR, meaning that it's losing a dime on every dollar. If they keep that up, they won't be in business much longer!