Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Manhatten  (Read 7247 times)

stevenlloyd1

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser Manhatten
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
My father passed away some time ago and left me a 53 Manhatten 2dr. Super nice car which was purchased from Jimmy Johnson in TN some years ago who is well known for his Darrin collection.
I have lost the means to store this car and would love to find it a new home if someone is interested. If anyone is interested for more info please e-mail me at stevenlloyd1@bellsouth.net   . Thanks

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Manhatten
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
53 Manhattan 2 door. I never knew they made a 2 door.
No old cars owned.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »
Been working on one --- I am new to this kaiser stuff  (18 years in Kaiserdom) ... this is the first one I had seen.  That is why I bought it.  http://circlekf.com/pnwkfoci/pnwcars/P2385.html
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »
They made a whole bunch (well, maybe a small bunch) of 1953 Manhattan 2-dr Club Sedans.  Check out the info about them on the KFOCI HANDBOOK cd.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
They made a whole bunch (well, maybe a small bunch) of 1953 Manhattan 2-dr Club Sedans.  Check out the info about them on the KFOCI HANDBOOK cd.

Jim, that's an awesome car as usual.  I received photos of the the car from Steven and it is an Onyx Black car and interestingly, as yours, all one color, no painted or fabric roof.
No old cars owned.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
It would be interesting to see the DATA PLATE off of the firewall on the car.  Black??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
There are several things to remember about 1953 Kaiser Manhattans, 2-door or 4-door.  First, the normal Manhattan had NO fabric top; that was reserved for special orders and Dragons.  Second, Black was available (Onyx) throughout the model year, although the trend was to brighter colors during this time (and Kaiser-Frazer had the brighter colors). 

The data plate numbers would be interesting.  If there was a 999 / 888 paint/trim combination, the car was a non-standard set-up and there should also be a number (beginning with K-) at the SPEC-FO header on the tag.  The SCHED numbers should tie out to late in calendar 1952 or early in calendar 1953 if the current information is indeed correct.  The theory is that the two-door bodies were made up during a short time period in the model year rather than throughout the run.  The detailed record keeping on car production at Willow Run seems to fall apart after August 1952, so at this point, not much can be done to figure out what was built when.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
I need to call the seller and talk with him about the car. Recognizing that I am not an expert, I think the fabric on the seats may be incorrect.  It is similar, however, to Jim's turquise blue fabric appearance on his seats. (Color is black or dark grey-it just does not appear "original type" to me)

I love the color. While I am a huge fan of turquise when it is bright and "pops",  this all black 53 Manhattan looks like it would compete with a black and chrome Cadillac, Buick or Lincoln for understated elegance.

A check of my reference materials (Jack, still I have never received that DVD you always reference "The Handbook") shows about 2400-2500 53 Manhattan 2 door club sedans made. I was looking at the photos in the 1947-1955 KF Photo Archive book which has both the lower end Special and the Manhattan and the thicker stainless Manhattan trim makes a big difference.  This black Manahttan that Steven has is an automatic.  He did not forward a shot of the door panels.   

I suspect his price and mine will be off but I want to say it's a striking car and anyone would be happy to have it in their collection. I will try to add photos here later.
No old cars owned.

custom59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
Hi All,

Can anybody tell me is this car still for sale?

I have tried emailing Mr. Lloyd but as yet have not recieved an answer.

I'm new to Kaisers but this seems like a good buy.

A '51-'55 (preferably 2 door) ready to go with just a little work is what I'm looking for.

Hopefully someone can help.

Regards,
Mal Plummer.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
Mal
I suspect Mr. Lloyd still has it UNLESS one of the regulars on this forum has seen it on ebay.  I will email Steve tomorrow and see if he can come on here and/or contact you.    Bryan
No old cars owned.

custom59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
Bryan,

I got an email from Steve the other day with pics. What a beautiful car.
Just as you said it does appear to be a much better buy than the 4 door of Mr. Lance's.

I am in Australia and am hoping that isn't a problem for Mr. Lloyd. I will be travelling to
the US in July/August and am hoping to buy a Kaiser before I get there.

Regards,
Mal.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Mal
I have spoken to Steve Lloyd and he is a stand up guy (aka a good guy). The car, as may have been mentioned - has been in the KF collector community for 30 years at least.  This was Steve's dad's car and he did a lot of work on it.

I recommended he get it running and that was his intent. It needs some cosmetics for sure but if a person just purchased it, it could be enjoyed for years as is, not perfect, but delivering a lot of old car hobby enjoyment as is.

I suspect this car could be held with a deposit, given you are from Australia.  The price is right. 
No old cars owned.

custom59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
Just a quick update.

The car will be going to Australia in the next few weeks.

I will be meeting Steve tomorrow after several conversations and a deposit to secure the car.

I love the look of the Manhattan and just had to have it.

With all the costs involved in getting it to Australia it still is a bargain compared to 'equivalent'
cars of the same era in Australia.

She will definitely stand out in the crowd at home.

Mal.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »
Mal
Congratulations on purchasing a great, unique car. As a knolwedgeable collector, I agree with most, especially on this KF forum-that the 53 Manhattan is likely the best looking 1953 American car.   
No old cars owned.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
Roadmaster49: 1953 produced two gorgeous American cars, the Kaiser Manhattan and the Studebaker 2-door hardtops and coupes. No other American cars came close to these two that year. As partial as I am to Kaisers, those two Studies have a bit of an edge. Of course, when it comes to interiors, Kaiser has it all over everyone! Studebaker interiors were just plain boring.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.