Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Dragon upholstery  (Read 6245 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser Dragon upholstery
« on: February 05, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »
I have posted some pictures of John's Dragon (see cars for sale, posted today) on my blog (I had trouble posting them to this site); please see link below.  I noticed two things: First, there is no vinyl top (I realize that the green color is not stock; originally it was white).  Shouldn't it have come with a black top?  If so, is anybody reproducing this material?  Secondly, the seat inserts are plain white.  I thought all '53 Dragons had Laguna cloth inserts, which would have been white with a rectangular black pattern on it.  Can anybody shed light on any of these issues?

Thanks,
Cory

http://kfcory.blogspot.com/

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Dragon upholstery
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
Some one needs to have The person to give Paint & Trim #'s for this Vehical. Then You go from that to more info on the Dragon...
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »
Well, I answered my own question about upholstery material by buying the car! (not the sole reason I bought it).  The seats are upholstered in a non-stock white vinyl.  The original laguna cloth is still on the b-pillars and is the correct material for both the seat inserts and the door panel inserts.  It is a great car, I'm very happy with it and look forward to many years of motoring in a car built to better the best.

Please see the 3/29/09 post on my blog for pictures of the laguna cloth (and incorrect white inserts) at http://kfcory.blogspot.com/.

carsngolf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »
Where the '54 style taillights standard on '53 Dragons?  I also saw a '54 Manhattan recently on ebay that had '54 taillights but a '53 rear window.  An "early" '54?
Jerry Weiland

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »
The 1953 Dragons had '53 style tail lights. The '54 style will bolt right on so it's an easy modification for anyone who wants to do it. I just purchased a copy of Collectible Automobile magazine from December 1997. It features a nice article on the Kaiser Dragons.  I just read it yesterday. The 1954 Kaiser early Specials were left over '53 Manhattans.  They have the '53 Kaiser rear window.  Only 1954 Manhattans and Late Specials have the large wrap around rear windshield.  The car you saw was probably and 1954 early Special. If someone on ebay claimed it was a Manhattan, that's a common mistake. Seems many uninformed ebayers or sellers in general conclude all Kaisers and Frazers are Manhattans. Not true.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:50:36 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:00:32 PM »
The original owner put the '54 taillights on--I suppose he preferred them.  For now I am going to enjoy this car, but since it is a Dragon some day I would like to perform a full, and correct, restoration, in which I I will, of course, use correct taillights, vinyl top, original Stardust Ivory paint, etc., etc.