Author Topic: Oil leak at front pulley  (Read 2443 times)

MikeZ

• Perseverance alone will prevail!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oil leak at front pulley
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
Good morning to all,
I have a 1951 Henry J. that I just rebuilt the engine on.
I tried to do everything right within my limited knowledge of the L134 engine.
I had the crank turned to .020 under and the cylinders bored to .060 over.
The head and block were magna-fluxed to check for cracks and the head was milled .008.
I even had the engine balanced!
Now I have it back together and in the car, it runs great, very smooth for a 4 banger.
That's the good news, now for the bad!!
I have a leak in the front of the engine at the pulley. About 9 or 10 months ago I replaced the front pulley as it was bent. The new pulley I received from Kaiser Willy's parts seemed to do the job OK although I think I had a small leak then. Now oil is leaking from that area pretty bad. I used a rubber seal since that was what was sent in the rebuild kit to replace the existing rubber seal. The pulley hub outside surface is not smooth like a bearing face it has machining grooves in it. I don't know if that is part of the problem or not. Unfortunately I didn't pay any attention the original pulley when I replaced it, so, I don't know if it was smooth or not. The leak seems to be coming from between the shaft and the pulley hub, but, it may just look that way and actually be coming from the outside of the hub at the rubber seal. I didn't receive any seal or gasket for the inside of the hub or the shaft. I can’t figure out what is supposed to keep the oil from leaking between the shaft and the inside of the hub, especially since the key way goes all the way through the hub.
I have looked at the exploded view of the front of the engine. There isn't enough detail to see if I have everything put together correctly or not.
A friend suggested that I get a speedy sleeve to put over the pulley hub. He is convinced the leak is between the pulley hub and the robber seal.
Sorry about this being such a long post!
Any help, pictures or experience would be much appreciated.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
Re: Oil leak at front pulley
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
Did you replace the timing gear cover seal or not? I know on a Kaiser it is easy to "pinch" or whatever if not carefully driven in. We only batted 500 when we did my engine years ago--second try did the trick. I looked at the HJ shop manual and they do mention replacing the seal if the cover is taken off.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

MikeZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply Ben-Tex!
Yes, I did replace the seal. After I had the leak I took the pulley back off and checked the neoprene seal and it looked fine.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
There is also a welch plug that oils the timing gears. If it's loose or missing, it could be spraying oil at pump pressure inside the cover. That could make it leak. I've heard the welch plugs can cause problems.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MikeZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »
Thanks FID,
The welch plug is there. I'll check for tightness when I take the timing gear cover off. I wonder if it also matters what direction the welch plug is pointing?
I called the parts supplier and they say the only gasket in that area is the seal for the outsaide of the pulley hub, so I don't think I'm missing a gasket.
They also said that the pulley hub not being completely smooth like a bearing surface shouldn't hurt anything technically, but, that they have heard of issues with it. I'm going to try to locate a "Speedy sleeve" to fit the hub.
Gotta be some reason it's leaking!!