Author Topic: Black goo in fuel pump and filter :(  (Read 4021 times)

ChrisHawaii

• View Profile
    • Email
Black goo in fuel pump and filter :(
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »
Bonjour,

It has been a long time without working on my 53' Manhattan... Last time, the fuel pump was not doing too well (was more than a year ago), so I dismounted it this morning and found it full of an ugly black goo. Looked at the fuel filter and sure enough, it was full of it too!

I added some gas last time I fired up the engine... and it had 10% ethanol. Did not know it could be a problem. I guess it is.
- I had replaced a short hose (from pump to tank fuel line) by a nitrile  Weatherhead (H057) so it does not come from there.
- There are a couple of little old "rubber" hoses before and after the filter, in addition to the pump and the filter itself, but they look pretty inside.

Any suggestion/advice on the potential origin of the goo, either in the filter or the pump, or somewhere else?  Carburetor is clean, just slightly "sticky". As you will see from the pictures attached, the filter is really full of the goo, and the pump has a good bunch of it, but not everywhere.

Thanks and aloha from the Big Island,
Christian
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:19:06 PM by ChrisHawaii »

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black goo in fuel pump and filter :(
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
I would guess that the ethanol is slowly dissolving gunk in the bottom of the gas tank. This seems to
be more common when the gas sits in the tank and is not used up. It is a known problem on
older boats and causes lots of expensive problems for boat owners.

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
Its classic varnish, I just pulled the tank out of the 40 and the gas was orange like Dexcool antifreeze and a black syrup coated the interior of the tank and plugged the fuel lines and gummed up the electric fuel pump.  Get a can of McKay gas tank cleaner and let it soak for a few hours and swish it round and dissolve the gunk and then soak your metal fuel lines to clean them up.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
You also have to be careful because modern fuel mixtures can ruin old rubber hoses, seals and fuel pump diaphragms. I have not had the experience first hand but I've been told of old rubber dissolving from ethanol.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »
A high concentration of STABIL can do the same thing.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
The tank in my '52 Henry J Vagabond was a mound of rust and black goo when I got the car in 2001. One of the gas tank repair kits from Kanter Auto took care of it. It took an entire weekend to get it cleaned then a week for the coating to cure but it's been 11 years now and so far (knock on wood)... no problems. I always run non-oxygenated fuel when I can and the car never sits for extended periods (over 6 months) without being driven.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Life is tough and then you die. Your problem has caused me more grief and down time on the side of the road over the 55 years I have owned Henry Js than most all the others put togather. Knowing what I know now, I would not pot shot my repair efforts. I would pull the tank if I did not have some friends who had prior experience to guide me, get it cleaned and coated professionally. I did a bad job once and it caused a nightmare. Place a clear fuel filter at the exit of the tank. Buy your hoses at a marine supply house. Use only stainless clamps. Rebuild the pump with the latest ethanol resistant diaphragm. Kanters or KF Willys in South Carolina are good sources. Add a fuel filter at the carb inlet. ANY residue, powderery, sticky or just discoloration in the carb bowl is bad news. Ethanol resistant diaphragms are available if you look hard enough. I wish I could say the same about accelerator pumps.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.