Author Topic: Gasoline to use?  (Read 1334 times)

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
Gasoline to use?
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
I've just acquired a 1952 Henry J Corsair and am wondering what type of gasoline I can use.  Regular?  What about ethanol?  Should I try to find that lead additive I used to use in my classic cars years ago?  Thanks!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gasoline to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
I always run the non-Oxygenated fuel and add a lead substitute. This is important since it's a flathead and the lead cooled the valves. Without it, the valves could burn after a while - thousands of miles perhaps. It is possible the car had hardened valves and valve seats but if you don't know, it's best to add the lead. The problem I've noticed with ethanol, and I've had to use it in certain situations such as driving the car to meets, and the difference I've noticed is the car runs a little hotter and the mileage goes down a bit. A Corsair would have a four cylinder in it (Corsair Deluxe has the six) and I'm not sure if there was  bulletin on the four but there was a service bulletin which recommends advancing the timing 3 - 5 degrees for better performance with the six. I've noticed if I do this, the ethanol causes the engine to ping so badly the car is  undriveable so I have to keep it TDC as the original specs called for.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gasoline to use?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
Here is a site to search for stations selling straight gas. Henry

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h