Author Topic: Temperature Sensor question for 48 Frazer  (Read 1933 times)

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Temperature Sensor question for 48 Frazer
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
All of my gauges work ok on the car except the temp gauge. As you can imagine this does cause me great concern. I asked my mechanic to check the temperature sending unit and he could not locate one. I would think that the car does have one.

QUESTION: Where is this part located on the car and what sort of value should I be looking for once the car is running for a while

JT Tyler
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temperature Sensor question for 48 Frazer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
As noted in the 1947-48 Illustrated Parts List Book, the sender unit for Water Temperature is different from the type used on the Kaisers.  Check this book for the exploded view which will show you where to find the sensor and the lead back to the gage.  If the gage shorts out, normally the gages swing to full hot as soon as you turn the key (before you start the car) and it stays there.  Otherwise, if there is a thermostat in the cooling system you should start to see movement after a couple of minutes.  Check the BLUE COVER 1947-48-49-50 Factory Shop Manual for more information on the cooling system set up.

I am assuming that you have both items, valuable tools in their own right for the repair, restoration and upgrade of your vehicle.  If you do not, both books show up on eBay from time to time, or members can run a free WANTED ad in the KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN.

If everything is working properly, the gage should sit around the 170 mark.

Don C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »
I have an extra tempature  gauage unit for 47-48 frazer. let  me know if you wish on my email is don_hope@q.com  Don C.
Don C
Yakima, WA
1947 Frazer
KFOCI member since 1972

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
"I asked my mechanic to check the temperature sending unit and he could not locate one."

Rut, row...believe I'd be looking for a new mechanic!! :o
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
Generally the mechanic has been able to resolve any issues I have had. He didn't have the repair or parts manual. I just dropped them off so he would have those resources. In his review of the engine without the manual it wasn't obvious where it was located. There was engine work done on the car before I got it and I am not sure if it was removed and d the opening plugged.
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan