Author Topic: Isolating source of starting problem question  (Read 3756 times)

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Isolating source of starting problem question
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
Looking for simple ideas for determining the source of why my car won't start when the starter button is pushed. I don't know if it is the started button or ignition switch. Problem seems to have started when an electric fuel pump ( and regulator) was installed. It always started before but it could just be coincidentally related to the fuel pump. I did not do the installation of the pump so I am not sure how its wired in.

By the way, the electric pump is a little noisy but no vapor locking so far and that is a big relief.
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Isolating source of starting problem question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:29 AM »
Does it crank when you turn key and push button or no sound at all, not even solenoid click?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »
The first step is always clean the battery terminals - that means disconnect them and scrape them till shiney metal is showing. If the terminals are dirty, lights etc. can still work because they are low current devices, unlike the starter which takes a lot of amps to spin it.
If that doesn't correct it, you can troubleshoot the starter pretty easily. According to the shop manual, the starter solenoid is mounted on top of the voltage regulator. Make sure the car is in neutral and the brake set (or wheels blocked) then take a jumper cable, or thick jumper wire, and connect one side to the neg battery terminal (assuming the battery is connected positive ground as originally) and touch the other side to the small terminal on that solenoid. If the starter spins, then the problem is the starter button or wiring to it.  If it does not spin, take a set of regular jumper cables and connect one side to the neg terminal on the battery and the other side to the large terminal which goes from the solenoid to the starter. The starter should spin. If it does, the problem is the solenoid or the wiring to it. If it doesn't, then it's the starter or a bad connection to it, or a bad ground. It takes a lot of amps to spin that starter and corrosion can cause problems. Give those things a try and let us know how it goes.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

FYI: the battery is a new 6 volt battery. Been in use about 2 months.

When I press the starter switch there is no notice or click. If I continue to turn the key off then back on several times along with pressing the starter button then the car may start. A couple times it started right up. Mostly recently I have to go through the starting sequence 4 to 8 times.

JT

I love the car though :-)
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »
When you turn the key to the 'on' position, check the ammeter and see if it moves to a slight discharge. If so, then the starting circuit is being engaged. If that's the case and the there's still no noise when the starter button is depressed, your problem is either with the starter button or the starter solenoid. I had the button go bad on my 50K Traveler.

You can always jump the solenoid by placing the blade of a screwdriver across the small center terminal of the solenoid to the post with the large  cable that runs to the starter. This mimics the action of pressing the starter button. If nothing happens, then your solenoid is probably bad.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
If jumping the starter solenoid as JoeFrazer said and it starts, then be sure to check the cable from the starter switch to the solenoid. It may be corroded. You can prove this by jumping from the
starter switch to the solenoid.

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »
The problem seems to be a bad ignition switch. When I turn the switch to on then the electric pump does come on. However, when I press the starter button the car did not turn over. If I wiggle the key in the switch, then the car starts.
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Also look at connections and wires to said switch. A loose/frayed wire after 60+ years is not uncommon.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
The final word on the starting problem was a bad ignition switch. There was something loose or not connecting within the switch. Switch was replaced and the car starts fine

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan