Author Topic: Removing emblems  (Read 1607 times)

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
Removing emblems
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
Slowly tearing apart the Henry and was wondering how exactly to remove the emblems from the "trunk", hood, and dash without breaking the tabs on the back of them.  Thought they were just nuts on the backside but the look like round flat pieces of metal that are pushed onto the tabs.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Removing emblems
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
The script is attached with small "sockets" that have a tab built into them that are designed to hold the script in place. The best way to remove them to to tap on the posts from the back side of the script using a small hammer. Drive the posts out slowly, working each one alternately a little at a time so you don't warp or break the script. In most cases, the socket will come out with the script. Slow and steady wins the race!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
I have to agree. For the rear deck script tapping on the pins on the back side is the best way. If your car has a trunk lid, it's quite easy. If not, you have to crawl inside and tap them. You can also gently pry if you know where the pins are but work each one a little at a time. Pot metal does not bend or give much so tap a bit on one pin, then move to the next and the next etc till you work it out. I think the hood script and dash scripts (if your J is a '51 it will not have  glove box) have clips on the back which will need to be gently pryed off, again avoid bending at all costs.  If you have them replated, be sure to let the plater know the hood script is supposed to be curved! I've heard of some metal shops just automatically flattening them out assuming the curve is a warp. It's not, it's suppose to be that way to follow the curvature of the hood. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:47:35 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
One more disagreement. Turn the clips slowly as you pull gently They will "thread" themselves offor using small needle nose,bend the clip arm back. .
Which ever way yoy use, let us know
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  Was going to post yesterday but forgot to.  I removed the emblem on the hood the other day.  What I did was on the "clips" if that's what you want to call them, I took a small screw driver and bent the two tabs back on the clip that holds it tight on the emblem studs a little and got them to slide off.  Just need to flatten them back out when the day comes to put them back on.  Not sure if the others are the same but will find out this weekend.