Author Topic: Heater/blower switch  (Read 2335 times)

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
Heater/blower switch
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »
My 53 which I recently bought has a factory heater but no obvious switch for the blower. It has a light to the right of the steering column which I assume indicates its on but the holes on both sides of the steering have factory plugs in them. No switch that I can find. Any help will be appreciated in finding the on/off switch.   

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Heater/blower switch
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »
The factory plugs on both sides of the steering column were holes for the air vent cables. If the car was factory, or dealer, equipped with a heater, there should be a knob with a "V" on it on the right side of the steering column. There were actually 3 heaters available for the Henry J but the '53 most likely has the one my '53 has. Here's a picture of my dash, which is original.

To the left of the steering wheel, mounted on the bottom lip of the dash via a chrome hanger, is the knob with "H" on it.  This is heater blower knob, and this is where it was mounted. 
I would also ask if you are sure the one in your car is a factory issue heater? There was never a factory HJ heater with a light on the dash. Since the Henry J did not come with a heater, many of them had after-market units in them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:25:37 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »
I'll have to dig deeper. It may not be a factory installation. I'll keep you updated. Thanks

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
There were three factory heaters made for instalation in the Henry J, and a fourth which I've seen in a few very early Js.
This one was heater used in the 1949 - 50 Kaisers. It was installed the Henry J with an adapter kit -

Later this one came out and this is one I've seen in Js most often

This one is listed in the '52-'53 Henry J parts book supplement. I've seen number of them like this and it could also have the front peice replaced with one that says "Allstate" down the center:

The fourth type, that I've seen in few early '51s, is the Kaiser-Frazer "Air Conditioner" which was used in 1947/48 Kaisers and Frazers. Those were likely dealer installed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:33:27 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »

The last heter shown was made by the Red Head Heater Co. In addition to Henry J, they are found with the Red Head logo,Wizard ,Allstate and others. interestingly,In the case of Allstate it was not made for the Allstate ,but sold by Sears as a general add on heater.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Deluxe-RED-HEAD-Car-Heater-Hot-Rod-Rat-fits-Model-A-Ford-32-33-34-/00/s/MTM1OFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqN,!ksE8Oth9sskBPHKhhjwQ!~~60_12.JPG
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:00:13 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
Last try
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE