Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1840 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
A few questions
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
The Dragon has arrived!  And it looks good.  Needs brakes, a tune-up, several light replacements, etc., but in overall great condition.  I have a question, though.  I cannot get my key to unlock the doors.  I am using the ignition key.  I have tried WD-40, but it doesn't seem like it is seized.  Are there normally any issues with these?  I was going to take the lock assembly out.  Do I just access it by pulling the door panel?  Are there any tricks?  Thanks in advance for answers to all these questions, and you can count on plenty more questions in the next days and weeks as I fine-tune this car.

Cory J. (Logan)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
Are you missing a key?  Are the doors original?  The ignition key of my '51 works all the locks except on the passenger side door. It was a replacement. I took out the lock and had a locksmith re-key it and now it works as original.  No trick to taking it out, just be careful.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »
Logan, likely the original ignition/lock key was lost and someone found a key that would operate the ignition but is out of synch with the door lock tumblers.  If the ignition key is in good shape and you plan to continue to use it, you have take the door lock tumblers to a locksmith and have them reset to operate with your key.  Its very easy to get them out but be careful not to drop the screw inside the door, or yes, you will be taking the inside door panel off.  Open the door and look in the jamb beside the outside door lock keyhole.  You'll see a hole.  Look inside to see the slotted or hexhead screw that holds the lock mechanism in place.  Loosen it WITHOUT taking it the whole way out...the door lock will slide out...you may have to wiggle it a bit.  Now, putting it back in is another bit of a feat.  I've found the easiest way is to also remove the door handle (same way excepet screw comes out)...when you are sliding the door lock arm back into the door, guide it into place with 2 fingers stuck in through the door handle hole.  You'll figure it out.  Good luck and let us know!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:00:27 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
Thanks mbflemingkg.  I followed your directions to the T and it worked perfectly.  It took awhile, though.  First, I took the cylinders to my local locksmith, who kept it for several days before telling me he couldn't do it.  Next, I looked through Hemings and found Jessers Keys in Akron, Ohio.  I contacted them, sent my keys, waited a little over a week, got them back and put them back in the car today.  One trick I found helpful for guiding the cylinders back into the door: I did take the handle off, but instead of using 2 fingers, I took my magnetic telescoping part grabber and used that to move the rod around.  It worked really well.

One last note: the key to the (upholstered--got to love those Dragons!) glove box did not work either, but Jessers was not able to rebuild that cylinder.  They didn't say why.  Oh well, I guess it's not the end of the world if my glove box doesn't lock.

Thanks for the suggestions, there will be more questions I'm sure.