Author Topic: Dragon for Sale  (Read 9568 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Dragon for Sale
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
Nice looking '53 Dragon, black and white for sale in Hemmings http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/kaiser/dragon/1522636.html?refer=news

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dragon for Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
That sure is purdy!  :)

I'm looking forward to the authenticity comments - helps my Kaiser/Frazer learning curve.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
Beautiful car ... Only things I would question would be the color of paint used on the intake manifold and the carpet in the trunk.  I have been thinking all 53 Kaisers had Jute Mats in the trunk.  My 53 HJ Corsair Deluxe has the Jute Mat as did both the Manhattans we have owned.  Maybe Dragons are different.  Love those seat inserts ... wild material but looks right.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
I'm no expert but the engine color looks more like the shade of green used on 51 Frazers and Kaisers. I thought a lighter green was used for the 1953 engines which were also 3 hp more than the previous engines. Attached is the engine bay of the 1951 Frazer Manhattan hardtop that I used to own. When I bought the car its intake manifold was already painted, so I assumed that is the way it is supposed to be. When I needed correct new engine paint for that car, I bought it from Gary Michanek who was given to me as a source for correct engine paint. As you can see the color of this Frazer engine seems the same as the 1953 Dragon for sale. The Dragon is a beautiful car though, and I would certainly be happy owning it. It looks like it also has the power steering option.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:53:31 PM by JFerriss »

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
No, carpeting in the trunk is correct for Dragons, and from the picture, this looks original, like the carpeting in my own trunk.  Also, engine color was the dark green, same as the 51s, although this color does look a little off.  Did you also notice the bambu vinyl on the cardboard trunk lining?  Very luxurious!

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
Does the Bambu vinyl also cover the inside of the glovebox??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
Yes, it should.  It does on mine.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
The paint on the engine is not correct, the vinyl top was not correct, it should have been Bambo, this said the last time i saw it it was owned by Steve Roake , and the material was not available at that time. If he had lived he was going to change it. it runs and drives like a dream. The material on the seats is the  MARIE NICHOLS LAGUNA CLOTH . i AM WORKING ON GETTING IT REPRODUCED AND LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE AVAILABLE BY JUNE. also the loopy material for the 53-54  is back on the front burner

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
Oh, good catch on the roof vinyl.  I didn't notice that.  My interior black bambu is all in great condition except for the package shelf, which is sun-weathered.  I also need to replace the bambu on the roof.  If laguna cloth will be available, that will be GREAT!  I need that all around, as it was replaced sometime in the past with plain white vinyl.

xkssfrank

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »
My understanding is that Mr. Roake wanted to have the Bambu on the top and found some of it at Hershey, I am thinking of putting the Bambu on the top as he wanted to do.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Good eye.  Seller doesn't even mention that it's a Dragon that I can see.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
If the VIN # listed in the ad is the door post number (and format looks like it) it is a K530 1953 Kaiser Dragon.  Unfortunately, upholstery shown in the photos appears to be Manhattan type.  You would have to see the numbers on the large body tag and would have to see an enlargement of the RT front fender picture.  It is interesting that the gold plated script and trim is not on the car.  Also, check the stainless molding along the roof/deck joint; it will be a bit narrower than the same pieces on a Manhattan, if the stuff is from a Dragon.

aeroj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »
I know where there is a Dragon. I took a picture of it way back when.. I see if I can find it and post the photo.. . Northern Idaho..  between Bonners and Sandpoint.. East side of the tracks.

xkssfrank

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Is that another Kaiser in the background in the Hemmings ad?