Author Topic: KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0  (Read 4962 times)

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »
I have asked before about getting a members package as I have never received one and read somewhere that revised info was being done and would be sent out. Will I be receiving a new members package and when might that be? Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
I have asked before about getting a members package as I have never received one

The new member packet normally includes a welcome letter, a Bulletin, a Quarterly magazine/roster/calendar (when available) & the handbook cd. Currently, the only available items are the Bulletin & handbook. Only a very limited number of handbook cd's remain ~ so, if you want one you must contact Deb Wilson, Membership Manager, ASAP: PO Box 424, Thomasville AL 36784 or membership@kfclub.com

read somewhere that revised info was being done and would be sent out.

The revised/updated handbook cd has not been released. If you are an active member when it is sent, you will receive one.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Email sent to Deb. Thanks, Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:13 PM »
I got the version 4.0 today, thanks, Henry.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
Barbara
No offense is intended, but the new Handbook CD has been on order ever since I was a member. I am no longer a member but never received it in the one year I was a member. I received the newsletter on a regular basis and about 8 months into my membership I received a membership roster and a Bulletin or Quarterly? (a magazine) which was nice. 

I doubt I will join the club again without a KF product but I would be more then happy to underwrite a run of DVD/CD's to cover a 2 year period so that we aren't faced with the "coming soon" mantra that has apparently existed for a LONG time.  Again I mean no disrespect, you just delivered the message the latest, but if a forum search could have taken place in the past 2-3 years this would have been a common comment. 

I am a member of the Buick Club of America and I am not saying this is apples to apples because the BCA is much better funded and resourced. I bring them up only to state that the BCA knows many in the blub simply want the monthly periodical and nothing more.  For whatever reason, receiving a glossy color laden monthly magazine is paramount to their continued support and membership. 

Perhaps a smaller dose of that concept applies in the KFOCI.  So in this way maybe some new members are disappointed with the lack of follow through of periodicals, "extras" and such to the point where they lack interest and drop out.  We (as a collective hobby group) may then never know why. 

At the time I joined KFOCI I had just purchased my rough Virginian and 8 other cars and joined marque specific clubs for each PLUS the AACA so I was getting 4 club magazines plus Hemmings periodicals and it was just too much. Some months I would not even read everything or just skim it.

My decision to drop KFOCI was made in part because of the almost insurmountable restoration obstacles of my car but also in part because of the lack of a cohesive message from the club. I know Jim Lape from the forum but during my time in the club I kind of felt isolated.  I can say that a couple of chapters or regionals sent me newsletters inviting me to seasonal events and that was nice, almost kept me in the club.  Perhaps the longstanding friendships and "mini groups" are what is keeping KFOCI relevant and in business, I am not entirely sure.

But to the original point, commitments of periodicals and literature are important for new members, and the communication of the club is also important.   I presently own a lot less cars and would like to restore them and enjoy them but if the right 2 KF's cars came along I could sell what I have and jump back in.  I still frequent this forum, own signed original books from Jack and Langworth, and most other KF periodicals.  Still a fascinating make worth pursuing.
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
At the end of 2012, I was told by Mike Knittel that Version 5.0 would go out at some point in 2013 as an issue of the QUARTERLY but I've heard nothing more specific since.  If all else fails, I will put the "master" version of 5.0 in Mike's hand if the occasion arises prior to the 2013 National or otherwise deliver it to whoever is elected KFOCI President at the Indiana event.  As far as I am concerned, it will be up to the management of the club to take care of duplication and distribution since they are the ones that will set the schedule.

As far as I know at this point (so I could be wrong) you are the only person in the club who did not get a copy of KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 4.0 either in the original mailing or one-on-one follow up with club management.  if you were a member in the fall of 2009 or beginning of 2010 you definitely should have received one and it was the Secretary and/or Membership Secretary who dropped the ball.  As Barbara noted, individual members who did not get a copy of the HANDBOOK that should have are to contact Deb Wilson...Barbara and I had nothing to do with distribution.  I was given authorization to have the work duplicated and the 2,000 piece run was shipped on to Mike Barker for distribution back in 2009.   Extras were supposed to go to the Club Secretary. 

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
As most of you are aware The Handbook V4 is online at Circlekf.com.  I have been told not to post any KFOCI publication online until it has been available for a year.  When does the year start for V5??   :-\
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
I joined club in 1987, became a life member in 1992.   The only handbook I have ever received was the book copy in 1988.  They sent it after I sent my renewal after recommitting to another year in club.  I have never gotten any other version.  When I hear others receive a 5.0, I am going to find a copy.  I get quarterlies, roster and Calendar, so they have my address.  Not sure what's happening.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
I joined club in 1987, became a life member in 1992.   The only handbook I have ever received was the book copy in 1988.  They sent it after I sent my renewal after recommitting to another year in club.  I have never gotten any other version.  When I hear others receive a 5.0, I am going to find a copy.  I get quarterlies, roster and Calendar, so they have my address.  Not sure what's happening.

Dave, did you get the 2010 calendar sent with the 2nd 2009 Quarterly? The v4 Handbook CD was included in that package.

There were 4 "clues" that the CD was sent - a full page of printed access/use instructions in the Quarterly, comments in the January 2010 "From the Historian" plus ads in the April & May 2010 Bulletins to order a printed Handbook.  Any one of these should have alerted you to contact the club Secretary for a replacement.

As previously posted, after 3+ years only a very few CDs remain. Either contact Deb Wilson NOW or wait for v5.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
BigDave: In 1992 we sent out V3 of the Handbook in 2 parts in lieu of 2 issues of the Quarterly because that is how large the paper copy had become.
I talked to several members afterwards who claimed they did not receive the Handbook. Now the problem was, I put on the labels of a large % of the copies and put them into the mail bags. I knew these members and I specifically recalled their labels. I can guarantee their copies got at least as far as the post office. In one case, the member had to admit that after thinking about it, he did receive both parts and he had just filed them away with out reading them. I suspect the others may have committed the same error in memory.
The Handbook is an important document for our members and if you don't have one, you should yell until you get one. The big advantage now is as of V4, the document is digital so making copies is less involved than the paper version. In fact it can fit on a very small capacity thumb drive and can also be read on an Android device.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170