Author Topic: Water Pump and Cooling 54K  (Read 2528 times)

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
Water Pump and Cooling 54K
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »
Hi guys,
Started messing around with my 54 Kaiser Manhattan the past few days as it hasn't been running for a while.  The engine seems to be getting pretty warm and I'm not quite sure if coolant is circulating through the block or not.  What is the best way to figure out if my water pump is working or not.  I plan on installing a new thermostat, etc. on Saturday and figured now would be the time to make sure the pump is working.  Thanks for the help in advanced,
Regards,
Chris
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Water Pump and Cooling 54K
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
Chris,

One way to check the water pump is to crack the radiator cap before starting the car, and then start and let it warm up to operating temperature. Remove cap and if you are lucky you will see the water moving across the top of the radiator. This is not a guarantee that you have a strong pump. Possible causes of over heating engine. (1) Thermostat stuck in the closed position not allowing water to exit the block  to the radiator. Fix - replace thermostat. (2) Impeller on water pump has one or more broken blades. Fix - replace water pump. (3) Radiator water passages clogged. Fix - flush radiator, replace if necessary. (4) Engine block has clogged/corroded water passages. Fix - Remove engine and have machine shop boil it out in chemical tank. (5) Faulty wiring/temp gauge/temp sending unit. Fix - Replace components as necessary. Chris, you are doing a great job on the web site your work is greatly appreciated. Post some pictures of your car. I am sure everyone would like to see it.

Fabian

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »
The quick test is after the engine has been running a while, shut it off. Feel the bottom hose and see if it's hot, then feel the top hose and see if it's hot. If the bottom hose is hot and the top hose is not hot the culprit is most likely the thermostat. 
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »
An easy way to tell if you have a restriction is to quick rev a warmed up engine with the cap off. If the fluid level drops when you rev it, no restriction. If it stays the same you have a restriction, if it acts like old faithful you have a head gasket problem.

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone, I wasn't able to get around to it this weekend, but hopefully will this coming weekend.  I'm sure it will end up being one of the problems explained above. 
Regards,
Chris
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »
Chris, any update on the overheating problem?  I'm wondering if I may also have a similar problem.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)