Author Topic: Power Steering  (Read 2995 times)

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
Power Steering
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
Someone told me that some Nash or Rambler power steering units would go right on a 53 Kaiser.  Is this right?  If so what should I be looking for?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Power Steering
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
Contact Dale Hammon; he's a club member and still at the Philhower Road address in Beloit WI.  He's done several conversions with the unit which is supposed to be the same type that K-F used on 1953-55 Kaisers (it was an option on Carolinas).

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
Thanks Jack!  I had no idea PS was an option on the Carolina.  I was afraid I was messing up my car by putting it on.  I will call Dale.  Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:08:12 PM by Carolina Fan »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
I have a good news/bad news follow-up on this.  In reading over the Confidential Bulletin announcing the Carolina, (#92, 3/20/53) It states "With the exception of transmission options, no other special equipment items or accessory groups are installed on the Kaiser Carolina in production".  This is somewhat buried on page one in an area not associated with factory installed accessories.

However, in cases where medical need prevails, the club has followed a policy of not deducting points for equipment that reflects medical requirements.  Also, there is no reason that I know of from a steering/suspension stand-point that would have a problem with power assisted steering.  This however is only my own opinion and the Chief Judge should be consulted to verify what I have said.

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
Thank you Jack.
  I really want to drive and enjoy my car without altering it too extremely.  If I can add PS that is or looks Kaiser it would be so nice.  You have been a great help. 
Again, Many Thanks

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
Of course you will need new tie rods--the 53-55 power steering units do not use the "center point" steering with equal length tie rods.  You will also need to move the radiator forward to make room for the power steering pump.  This is assuming you use the same setup KF used.  My Dragon has spacers between the radiator and the bar that braces between the front fenders.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:49:45 AM »
And the Crank Pulley has tracks for two belts.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:22 AM »
As does the water pump pulley.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
Carolina Fan: Look back at some of the discussions about 2 years ago. We talked about the KF PS unit. It was essentially the same as a line of after- market kits offered for other cars in that period. It was also claimed that such a unit was used on 55-56 Clippers, but not the senior Packards.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170